The body of Chinese restaurateur Liyan Jiang, a 44-year-old father of three, was on Thursday evening found in the bathroom of his bottom flat Third Street, Tuschen, East Bank Essequibo home with hands bound and mouth gagged.
Formerly of Soesdyke, East Bank Demerara, the late Liyan Jiang was found at
about 22:00h by a friend after his wife requested that the friend check on her husband, since calls to his mobile phone had been going unanswered.
The friend arrived at the house to meet the main access door ajar and the light in the building still on. He reportedly called several times for Jiang but received no response. He made the gruesome discovery as he looked around, and without hesitation contacted the Police.
The home was ransacked, and there were about Jiang’s body marks of violence which suggested that he had been beaten mercilessly; but there was no sign of blood, even though there was a visible mark around Jiang’s neck that led investigators to believe he had died by strangulation.
Reports are that the man had last been heard from at about 03:00h on Thursday, when he reportedly told friends with whom he was playing online games to “hold on”. It is believed that he had gone to check on sounds emanating from the bathroom and was attacked and killed.
Guyana Times visited the house on Friday to find ranks of the Criminal
Investigation Department still conducting their investigations. The man’s wife was also in the building, trying to ascertain what the intruders had taken away.
The friend who had made the gruesome discovery explained that the culprits must have jumped the perimeter fence to gain access to the premises, after which they went to the other side of the house and removed the louvre panes and then the grill.
Based on evidence, the person who went through the window had to be small-boned.
Investigators are working on the theory that after the intruder had gained access to the house, there might have been a scuffle between the suspects and the victim, since the surroundings were disturbed. The Police are of the opinion that the perpetrators departed the building through the main access door.
The Police are in the process of acquiring CCTV footage from nearby buildings as they continue their investigations.
Commander ‘D’ Division, Leslie James, when contacted, related that the Police are working to solve the murder, and in so doing are following several leads.
He confirmed that no one has as yet been arrested for the heinous crime.
Meanwhile, residents in the area believe a particular gang is terrorising and robbing people in the village. One man told Guyana Times that three men were recently seen scaling his fence to gain access to a Chinese supermarket.
He noted that, upon realising what was happening, a relative raised an alarm and the men escaped.
That resident, also a businessman, is calling on the relevant authorities to increase a security presence in the area.
He nevertheless stated that the now dead Chinese businessman moved into the area only about two months ago. He cooked and served, hence there was no need for staff. He also noted that persons in the area did not hear any unusual sounds emanating from the businessman’s home.
Guyana Times understands that the late Chinese businessman had moved into the village to set up the business, and his wife and three children were expected to join him at the end of the month. His wife operates another Chinese Restaurant at Soesdyke, East Bank Demerara.