Eight persons were left homeless after a fire, believed to have been started by a four-year-old child, destroyed two houses at Sheet Anchor, East Canje, Region Six (East Berbice-Corentyne) on Friday. The blaze reportedly began in the upper flat of a two-storey wooden building occupied by Subrina Yadram and Jeffrey Fraser before spreading to a neighbouring property owned by Phulmattee Madramoottoo.
Divisional Fire Officer Clive McDonald said that after receiving a call at 11:59h on Friday, firefighters and tenders were deployed to the scene where one building was already flattened, and the fire had spread to a second house, but they managed to contain the blaze before it spread further through the tightly packed community.

“We were able to stop and suppress the fire from spreading to other nearby structures,” McDonald explained while speaking at the scene. He explained that firefighters initially relied on water from the fire tenders before later sourcing additional water from a nearby canal during mopping-up operations. According to McDonald, firefighters encountered some difficulty accessing the area because of parked vehicles along the roadway partially blocking the passage for emergency vehicles.
The firefighters were nevertheless able to successfully contain the fire to the two buildings. At the scene, Yadram, a security officer who was at work at the time of the blaze, recalled receiving a telephone call and rushed home only to find the house engulfed in flames and most of their belongings destroyed.
“They called the workplace. When I came, the house was in flames … everything, everything damaged, everything… I don’t have anything, anything more,” the distraught woman responded.

Meanwhile, Fraser, who identified himself as a self-employed man attached to Gotham Inn and Plum Inn, told reporters that his four-year-old son had been left at home shortly before the fire started. According to Fraser, he had briefly left the building and was returning when he noticed smoke and flames.
“By their coming by the end of the street… I see like a rubbish rolling,” he explained while describing the moment he observed smoke. He said that by the time he got closer, the house had already started catching fire. Fraser told reporters that when he first noticed the flames, the fire appeared to be concentrated toward the back upper section of the house. Residents in the community later stated that a young boy from the area rushed into the burning building and rescued the four-year-old child moments before the flames intensified. Fraser said that when he returned, he eventually saw his son outside on the roadway.
The fire eventually spread to a neighbouring building owned by Phulmattee Madramoottoo, who said she had recently purchased new furniture and household items for the home she had occupied for decades.
She explained that while efforts were being made to contain the first building, the flames later crossed over and destroyed much of her property.
Asked how long after the first house started catching fire did it actually come over to her house, she said, “Half an hour, a little bit more.” Nearly one hour.”
Madramoottoo, who said she has been living at the property for about 30 years, explained that while some vehicles were removed before the flames intensified, much of the household furniture and personal belongings were destroyed.
“I had to find a key; I had to take a truck and a car.” This was in order for neighbours to be able to remove the two vehicles from under the house. “I made up the house the other day. I bought a new bed and a new wardrobe. I spend over half a million on chains and banners. I bought furniture, everything new I bought in the house…” she continued, “…new bed, mattress, new bed, wardrobe and the sunbed. Three beds in all, with a new brand sponge and everything. I spend over half a million… I bought furniture, everything new I bought in the house,” the 60-year-old woman lamented. She also explained that a shop formerly operated from the premises had been closed since the death of her husband, although goods remained inside the building. Firefighters are investigating the circumstances surrounding the blaze.
Discover more from Guyana Times
Subscribe to get the latest posts sent to your email.










