8-year-old electrocuted while playing with drill

Dead: Dashaun Dorris

An eight-year-old was electrocuted on Wednesday morning at his Bee Hive, East Coast Demerara home, allegedly while playing with an electric drill.
Dead is Dashaun Dorris of Lot 23 Company Dam, Bee Hive, ECD, a student of Clonbrook Primary School.
Police in a statement said that, at about 11:00h on Wednesday, the child was at home with his older sister when he left and went downstairs. However, about 15 minutes later, his sister called out for him but received no answer.
A few minutes later, a cousin went to informed the child’s sister that her brother was lying motionless in the yard with an electric drill in his right hand. A white substance was observed coming from Dorris’s mouth.
The child’s sister told investigators that, following the discovery, she raised an alarm and her aunt along with neighbours went to her assistance. The sister said they placed the child in a taxi and rushed him to the Dr CC Nicholson Hospital, where he was pronounced dead on arrival.
Police have said that the area where the child was found was muddy, and the mud was moist.
A drop-cord was also found next to the front step leading into the house; it was plugged into an electrical outlet. Upon examination, burn marks were found on the child’s right foot.
Following the incident, the electric drill and drop cord were seized and lodged at the Police station. Investigations are in progress. (G9)