Contracts signed for transformational $13.3B Eccles-Diamond 4-lane highway
…project designed in-house, contractors told to mobilise quickly
A number of contracts have been signed with various contractors, some of whom are collaborating in order to build the $13.3 billion Eccles-to-Diamond Road being described by the Government as a transformational initiative.
The signing took place at the Arthur Chung Conference Centre on Wednesday, and saw 12 contractors being given contracts to build the $13.3 billion Eccles-to-Diamond Road. The project is being administered under the Ministry of Housing, and is divided into 12 lots.
In his address to the contractors, Housing Minister Collin Croal emphasised the importance of the contractors working in a timely manner. He noted that mobilisation for the project should begin as soon as possible.
He also lauded the Projects Department of his Ministry for designing the four-lane, 9.4 km road in-house, saving the Government millions that would have otherwise gone to a consultant.
“…what we don’t speak about is that this Project Department saves the taxpayers of Guyana millions of dollars in consultancy and design fees, because all are done in-house; The preparatory work is all done by our Project Department. And that is why you don’t necessarily see us having advertisements for consultants to do project designs, etc.”
Project stagnated since 2015
Meanwhile, Minister within the Housing Ministry, Susan Rodrigues, was very critical of the delays the project had suffered, especially in light of the preparatory work done since 2015 and the lack of progress made in the project until this administration was returned to office.
She also recalled the sentiments of President Dr Irfaan Ali, who had said that transformational projects must be a priority that transcends political differences.
“Before we demitted office in 2015, the feasibility study was completed. The environment social management plan was completed, the road survey was completed. The BOQ’s were completed. Even the tender documents were already prepared. And when we demitted office in 2015, the APNU/AFC administration scrapped this project.
“They attempted to redesign and rescope this project, and failed at preparing any documents to commence a different project… so I am happy that today we can finally help His Excellency into seeing this project to fruition. I’m sure it must be a great relief to the project director, who worked hard on this project years ago and never saw it become a reality.”
Vice President Dr Bharrat Jagdeo last month expressed hope that the project can be completed by early 2023. The first aspect of the project, which runs from Mandela Avenue, Georgetown to Eccles, East Bank Demerara, is almost complete.
According to the bid document which was published in the newspapers, the second set of works on the four-lane highway would be divided into 12 lots, with the duration of construction expected to vary between 15 and 18 months per lot. Additionally, construction is expected to commence in the next 14 days.
Lot 1 of the project is being undertaken by Guy-America Construction Inc. for $1.2 billion; Lot 2 is being undertaken by V. Dalip Enterprise for $889.9 million; Lot 3 is being done by Colin Talbot Contracting Services and Eron Lall Civil Engineering Works for $1.3 billion; Lot 4 is being done by KP Thomas and Sons Contracting for $1.4 billion; Lot 5 is being done by S. Jagmohan Construction and General Supplies Inc. for $1.2 billion; Lot 6 is being done by H. Nauth and Sons for $1.1 billion; and Lot 7 is being done by JS Guyana Inc for $1.2 billion.
Meanwhile, Lot 8 is a joint venture by VALs Construction and AJM Enterprise for $1.1 billion; Lot 9 is being done by China Railway First Group for $1 billion; Lot 10 is being done by Aronoco Services Inc for $753 million; Lot 11 is being done by Ivor Allen for $825 million, and Puran Brothers Disposal is teaming up with Khemraj Nauth Contracting Services to complete Lot 12 at a cost of $964 million. (G3)