The Director of Public Prosecutions (DPP) has advised that an inquest be held into the death of 27-year-old pork-knocker Matthew Ramlochan, who was fatally stabbed during an altercation at Barakat Landing, Cuyuni River, earlier this month.
The Guyana Police Force (GPF), in an update on Tuesday, stated that the advice was received from the DPP’s Chambers on Monday, following the completion of their investigation and submission of the case file for legal advice. Investigations, police said, are continuing.

Ramlochan, of the Soesdyke-Linden Highway, was killed on January 11 during a violent confrontation at the mining location. Police reports indicate that a 38-year-old male gold miner of Half Mile, Wismar, Linden, became involved in a heated argument with two brothers during the evening hours.
During the dispute, the suspect allegedly armed himself with a pair of scissors and stabbed both men several times. Ramlochan succumbed to his injuries at the scene, while his brother, Tyrone Ramlochan, 39, also of the Soesdyke-Linden Highway, sustained injuries and survived. The suspect reportedly fled the scene immediately after the incident.
A post-mortem examination conducted on the deceased by Government pathologist Dr Nehaul Singh at the Memorial Gardens Funeral Home determined the cause of death to be perforation of the heart and lungs due to two incised wounds.
Following investigations, police ranks in Regional Division Seven (Cuyuni–Mazaruni), acting on information received, arrested the 38-year-old suspect on January 16, at about 08:30h at Barakat Backdam. He was informed of the allegation and taken into custody.
Additionally, two Venezuelan women, ages 37 and 27, who were present at the location at the time of the incident, were also taken into custody as part of the investigation. Police said all three individuals have been assisting investigators.
Discover more from Guyana Times
Subscribe to get the latest posts sent to your email.












