Drunken driver granted bail for hitting down, running over cop

A motorist who reportedly struck down Police Sergeant Rajendra Major, 41, of Cummings Park, Sophia, Greater Georgetown, causing him to become hospitalised, was on Friday last granted bail on three charges.

Accused: Abdool Safraz Nazir

The accused, Abdool Safraz Nazir, 36, of Eccles, East Bank Demerara (EBD), appeared before Magistrate Judy Latchman at the Diamond Magistrate’s Court where he pleaded not guilty to the charges when they were read to him.
The Police stated that on July 13, 2021, Nazir failed to stop after an accident, failed to render assistance and was driving under the influence of alcohol.
He was granted bail in the sum of $20,000 on each charge and will make his next court appearance on August 16, 2021.
It was reported that the accident occurred along the Peters Hall Public Road, East Bank Demerara (EBD), on July 13.
Police stated that Sergeant Major was on his motorcycle, proceeding north along the western drive lane of the Peters Hall Public Road, and as he approached the intersection of the Peters Hall Public Road and the Demerara Harbour Bridge (DHB) Access Road he was struck down by Nazir who was driving motor car PSS 3227.
As a result of the collision, the Sergeant was flung into the air, and he landed on the windscreen of the car before falling onto the road’s surface, where he sustained injuries.
Instead of rendering assistance, Nazir reportedly drove over the policeman and sped off the scene. He subsequently collided with a jeep bearing registration number PHH 9496 at Bagotstown Public Road.
Again, instead of rendering assistance, he continued further onto the Eccles Public Road, where he ended up in a nearby trench in the vicinity of Kenrick Auto Sales.
Sergeant Major was picked up by public-spirited citizens in an unconscious state, and taken to the Georgetown Public Hospital, where he was admitted a patient in critical condition.
At the time of the accident, motor jeep PHH 9496 had three occupants, and they were taken to the Diamond Diagnostic Centre, where they were all treated for minor injuries and sent away.
The drunken driver was later arrested and placed into custody. A breathalyser test conducted on him proved that he was way above the legal limit of alcohol consumption.