Evidence emerges of secret meetings between US – sanctioned Mohameds, AFC

Reports have surfaced of secret meetings between members of United States (US)-sanctioned Team Mohamed and the Alliance For Change (AFC) with former party activists in the Essequibo Coast and Berbice leading the efforts.
Guyanese businessmen, Nazar Mohamed and Azruddin Mohamed, along with their businesses, were sanctioned by the US back in June 2024 over gold smuggling and public corruption allegations.

Former AFC official Dr Veerasammy Ramayya at a public meeting held by US-sanctioned businessman Azruddin Mohamed in Berbice

Just last week, Azruddin Mohamed held an outreach in Belvedere Village, Corentyne in Region Six (East Berbice-Corentyne), where controversial former AFC member, Dr Veerasammy Ramayya, was seen engaging residents alongside the businessman. There are also reports of a People’s National Congress Reform (PNCR)-aligned Mayor in Region Six also at the engagement.
These developments have sparked political debate, raising questions about the Opposition’s electoral strategy ahead of the 2025 General and Regional Elections that are slated for later this year.
While the sanctioned businessman has not explicitly declared his intention to run at the upcoming polls, telling supporters during a recent visit to the Essequibo Coast that they will be informed on the way forward, his father, Nazar Mohamed has said he will support him if he decides to join the race.
Azruddin Mohamed has been conducting a series of meetings, especially in regions Two (Pomeroon-Supenaam) and Six, which are primarily strongholds of the ruling People’s Progressive Party/Civic (PPP/C).
Sources suggest that the AFC, facing challenges in certain communities due to its past performance, is seeking new alliances for its campaign, and is engaging in secret meetings.
In fact, AFC Leader, Nigel Hughes, an Attorney-at-Law, confirmed earlier this month that he met with Nazar Mohamed and Azruddin Mohamed of ‘Team Mohamed’ on March 12, 2025.
The meeting was said to be about “legal issues” and took place at the law office of Hughes – Hughes Fields and Stoby in Georgetown.
While a statement from the party indicated that “the consultations were of a legal professional nature,” General Secretary of the AFC, Raphael Trotman, had also attended the meeting.
Moreover, claims have also emerged that the AFC, in collaboration with the PNC-led A Partnership for National Unity (APNU), are using the younger Mohamed, due to his popularity, to target traditional PPP/C supporters.
Several public engagements held just last week in Berbice, have resulted in confrontations between Azruddin Mohamed and PPP/C supporters, who have rejected him.
Sources have further claimed that the Opposition parties have allegedly promised to lobby the US Government to lift sanctions against Team Mohamed, should they win the 2025 elections.

Flip flopping
Additionally, several APNU sympathisers and public figures, who previously accused the PPP/C of shielding the Mohameds from allegations of criminal activity, have changed their stance.
Reports indicate that some individuals are now managing the official Team Mohamed Facebook page, and have created multiple profiles to post supportive content.
One Facebook page, which has been sharing positive content about the sanctioned businessman, has even posted a photo with Azruddin Mohamed and AFC’s Member of Parliament, Sherod Duncan, as potential electoral candidates.
The Mohameds were strong supporters of the ruling party but the relationship soured after the PPP/C Administration cut ties with the businessmen over the sanctions, to avoid implications on the Government, the country and the Guyanese people.

US sanctions
Last June, the US Treasury Department’s Office of Foreign Assets Control (OFAC) sanctioned Nazar and Azruddin Mohamed, along with their businesses, Mohamed’s Enterprise, its subsidiary – Hadi’s World, and Team Mohamed’s Racing Team, over gold smuggling and public corruption allegations.
According to OFAC, Mohamed’s Enterprise smuggled some 10,000 kilogrammes (kg) of gold out of Guyana between 2019-2023, thus avoiding paying more than US$50 million in duty taxes. The US also accused the Mohameds of public corruption and issued sanctions against former Permanent Secretary, Mae Thomas.
Following the sanctions, the Guyana Government wrote to the US authorities requesting the necessary information and evidence to assist local investigations. After some nine months, that evidence was recently handed over and local law enforcements are likely to soon take action against the Mohameds.