Ex-Policeman shot dead while escaping from custody

An ex-Police Officer, who was accused of robbery on Monday morning made attempts to escape from custody, but was shot by former colleagues while driving away.
After he was shot, he continued to drive and crashed his motor car into a trench at Vryheid’s Lust, East Coast Demerara (ECD).
Dead is Ryan Vaux, 36, of Norton Street, Lodge. He was pronounced dead on arrival at the Georgetown Public Hospital.
According to information received, at 01:10h, ranks of a mobile Police patrol along Broad Street, Montrose, East Coast Demerara recognised a man running behind a motor vehicle with registration number PSS 6835. He was reportedly shouting that he had been

The mangled car in the trench after the accident surrounded by Police
The mangled car in the trench after the accident surrounded by Police

robbed of a sum of money by persons in the vehicle.
The Police subsequently intercepted the motor vehicle with one man at the steering wheel and a male passenger. A search was conducted on the men and $21,000 in cash was found.
The male passenger and the robbery victim, Deryck Persaud, 46, of Cummings Lodge, ECD, were placed in the Police vehicle and the motor vehicle driven by Vaux was escorted to the Sparendaam Police Station.
While on their way there, Persaud informed the Police that he had been robbed by the two men who were armed with a handgun and a knife.
Upon arrival at the Police Station, the ranks approached Vaux, but he brandished a firearm and drove off in the vehicle in an attempt to escape during which the Police discharged a round hitting him to the body.
Still bent on escaping, Vaux continued driving for a short while before crashing in the vicinity of Vryheid’s Lust Access Road, ECD. Police have since retrieved a pellet gun from the mangled car. The other suspect is in Police custody assisting with the investigations.
When Guyana Times visited the dead man’s home at Lot 80 Norton Street, Georgetown, his relatives were reluctant to offer a comment. One group of young ladies explained that they were not related to the ex-Police rank and directed media operatives to another house.
While this publication was there, a woman was on her mobile phone relating the incident to the person on the other end of the line, but she refused to give a comment.
She, too, directed media operatives to another house claiming that the dead man’s wife would be there, but it turned out not to be so.
Meanwhile, Crime Chief Wendell Blanhum told Guyana Times that the matter was being investigated by members of the Office of Professional Responsibility (OPR).