Extradition case against US-indicted Mohameds: “I don’t know why he believes he is in charge of the court” – Pres responds to claims by Azruddin Mohammed that court case could take 5 years

Azruddin Mohammed

President Dr Irfaan Ali has criticised comments made by US-sanctioned businessman Azruddin Mohamed, leader of the We Invest in Nationhood (WIN) party, regarding remarks that the ongoing extradition case against him and his father, Nazar Mohamed, could take up to five years to prosecute.
Speaking on the side-lines of the swearing-in ceremony at the Office of the President on Thursday, the President was asked about Mohamed’s claim that the extradition matter could drag on for as long as five years.
Ali remarked that such a public statement would be alarming, given that the statement suggests an inappropriate presumption of influence over the judiciary.
“It’s very interesting that Azruddin Mohamed reported that the procedure could take five years or more. I don’t know why he believes he is in charge of the court. It is a concern that he can be bold enough to make such a statement, as if of the belief that he is in control of the judiciary to make such a conclusive statement,” President Ali stated.
“Making a definitive statement like this is concerning to me, and I’m sure it is concerning to the judiciary, because he’s making a statement that is very bold; as if he’s aware of a system that would deliver to him certain results. That is concerning for all of us, concerning for the judiciary and concerning for me as President,” he added.
The President stressed that the matter is solely within the purview of the courts and emphasised the Government’s commitment to due process.
“We believe in due process. The Mohameds must have due process, and they are having that due process. But it’s not for the courts in Guyana to try this case,” he said.
The President highlighted that the local courts are not trying a case against the Mohameds but simply determining if enough evidence exists to ratify the extradition order.
“It is for the Magistrate to determine if there is enough evidence that constitutes a crime in the US for the extradition to take place based on that. What we have seen so far is that all the documents relating to the [alleged] crimes have been submitted… It is a grand jury of 12 persons in the US who would’ve concluded that there is enough evidence to determine the extradition. This grand jury has already determined that – so I think it’s a simple proceeding. We have seen that the grand jury would’ve already determined that there is enough evidence for the extradition to take place.”
The Mohamed father-and-son duo returned to court on Monday as their extradition case continued before Magistrate Judy Latchman at the Georgetown Magistrates’ Courts.
Prosecutor Terrence Williams told the court that full disclosure of documents supporting the US extradition request has been made. Defence Attorney Siand Dhurjon, however, disputed this, insisting that not all supporting documents were handed over and demanding full disclosure by Friday, November 28.
Both men remain on $150,000 bail.
The Mohameds are accused of conspiring to defraud the US and Guyanese Governments between 2017 and June 11, 2024. They face 11 US criminal charges, including alleged gold smuggling, money laundering, mail fraud, and wire fraud. They were sanctioned by OFAC in 2024 and later indicted by a US grand jury. Azruddin is also embroiled in a local case involving alleged tax evasion linked to the under-declaration of a Lamborghini valued at US$695,000 but declared at US$75,300.
Meanwhile, the President has also dismissed that there is anything concerning about the timeline being taken for the swearing in of the Leader of the Opposition (LOO) in the National Assembly, a position Azruddin is hopefully assuming.
Responding to questions about claims that the election of the new Leader of the Opposition (LOO) is being intentionally delayed, the President said he was unaware of any unusual holdup.
With 16 seats in the 13th Parliament, WIN is the largest opposition party in the National Assembly, and Azruddin is expected to assume the LOO position.
“I don’t know that the process is going on for a while,” he responded. “There are three branches of Government, the executive, the legislature, and the judiciary. The legislature, within its rules, I’m sure, will constitute their meeting at the relevant time to have the Leader of the Opposition elected. That’s in their domain.”
He explained that, based on reports, the Speaker of the National Assembly is currently overseas, which would make the procedure unable to be executed since it is the Speaker of the National Assembly that has to call the meeting of the opposition members to elect the LOO.
“From what I’ve seen in the news, the Speaker is travelling, so you can’t expect the Speaker to convene a sitting while he’s travelling or he’s overseas. I’m sure that the Speaker and the National Assembly would convene the meeting at the appropriate time and have that process complete,” the President said.
Mohamed and other WIN officials have claimed political victimisation and insist the LOO election is being purposely stalled, though no evidence has been presented to support those allegations.
The 13th Parliament convened on November 3, but the LOO has yet to be elected.


Discover more from Guyana Times

Subscribe to get the latest posts sent to your email.