Family now advised that file was never sent to DPP

WCD hit and run

The family of Rajendra Doodnauth, who was killed in a hit-and-run accident in December 2020, was told that the file was sent to the Director of Public Prosecutions, Shalimar Ali-Hack for review.
Three weeks later, they were left dumbfounded after they were finally informed that this is not the case. In fact, it was never sent. Now, they are raising questions as to where the investigation is going.

Dead: Rajendra Doodnauth

The dead man’s son, Devindra Doodnauth, told Guyana Times that the family has been checking in with investigators to determine the status of the investigation as they await justice. During an engagement, they were informed by a senior rank that the case file was never sent to the DPP.
This was also confirmed to them by Commander of Region Three, Senior Superintendent Errol Watts, who later assured that he would review the details. The son indicated that they are relying on the Guyana Police Force to ensure that justice is served, especially given the manner in which his father was killed.
“We were told that the file was sent since December and now when we check in, they said this didn’t happen and that it got to be reviewed by two officials before they send it over. We really want justice for my father,” the younger Doodnauth expressed.
Doodnauth, 55, of Uitvlugt, West Coast Demerara, died after being hit by a speeding car on the Stewartville Public Road. Enquires revealed that the motor car was proceeding east along the northern side of the road, reportedly at a fast rate, while the pedal cyclist was proceeding in the same direction as the motor car.
Doodnauth came off his bicycle and was waiting to cross the road. He collided with the front of the car and fell onto the front window screen of the vehicle, then onto the road’s surface where he was dragged some distance before the vehicle came to a stop.
He received injuries about his body and was picked up in an unconscious state and was taken to the Leonora Cottage Hospital where he was seen and examined by a doctor on duty. The man was pronounced dead while receiving medical treatment.
The deceased was a former employee at the Uitvligt Estate. At the time of the accident, he went to make a purchase at a nearby shop.
The 41-year-old driver of Non Pariel, East Coast Demerara, was released from custody the day following the accident.
“My father was killed by the driver and they let him go the next day. So, we want to understand what is happening,” the son contended. (G12)