Father shot thrice, daughter once – autopsy

Dead: Arianna Latchman
Dead: Aaron Latchman

Better Hope double murder

– Police yet to make arrest
Money changer, Aaron Latchman was reportedly shot three times while his daughter, Arianna, received a single shot to her chest following a robbery at their Better Hope, East Coast Demerara home on Thursday.
This was revealed by Dr Nehaul Singh, who performed the autopsies on the bodies on Friday morning. However, the police are yet to arrest the perpetrators who were seen leaving the yard with a bag containing money.
On Friday the family members, especially the wife of the now dead businessman and her 14-year-old daughter, were still in a state of shock. At the home, other family members were preparing for a wake.
The family’s domestic worker, Meena Hookchand, described Latchman as a dedicated father and husband. She noted that it is customary for Arianna to spend time at home when the University of Guyana closes for the holiday.
“She used to go to UG but it close off so she would be at home, the people come in from the back…he does do everything for his children, he even does prepare they boots and clothes and bag. When I come in on Saturday, he done wash it and hang it up…ow! He had just dropped off his 14-year-old daughter to after-school classes” the woman cried.
It is believed that upon returning home, he was confronted by the two armed men. It was reported that Latchman was held at gunpoint and escorted to the upper flat of his home with his 18-year-old daughter.
Reports are that the teen was attacked and shot to her chest when the bandits entered the house through the back door and began demanding cash.
They were then seen escorting Latchman into the yard where they shot him multiple times before escaping with a bag of cash.
However, a source said that the elder Latchman fought with the bandits and managed to disarm one of them before he was shot.
The bandits quickly made good their escape in a white Toyota Carina 212 motorcar, leaving a trail of money behind. The man and his daughter were picked up and rushed to the Georgetown Public Hospital where they were both pronounced dead on arrival.
The now dead man’s wife – an employee of the Dr Balwant Singh Hospital – was not at home at the time of the incident. She, nevertheless, turned up at the house and was inconsolable as she received the news of the deaths of her husband and daughter.
Meanwhile, one woman was arrested moments after the men left the scene. She reportedly picked up a number of notes that were left behind by the bandits without informing the police. She was taken to the Sparendaam Police Station. It is unclear if she was released.
The police have confirmed that while they have not arrested anyone as yet for the murders, they are working with several leads and are optimistic that an arrest is forthcoming.