A house located in Gibraltar Village, Region Six, was completely destroyed by fire on Thursday night.
The building was owned by 51-year-old Junior Jonas, a government part-time worker attached to the Fyrish-Gibraltar Neighbourhood Democratic Council (NDC).
Jonas occupied the upper flat of the two-storey wooden house at Lot 155, Gibraltar Village, Corentyne, Region Six (East Berbice-Corentyne).
The upper flat had two bedrooms. Jonas’s nephew-in-law lived in the lower flat, which also had two bedrooms.


Lotoya Griffith who occupied the lower flat with her husband and three children, said they were in the process of removing to a new building which was constructed on the same property.
According to her, the moving process commenced last week, and she and her children had been sleeping in the new building with her mother. She said that on Thursday night, her mother asked about a fire in the yard.
“My mommy, she sleep late. So, when she probably get up she saw the brightness and asked, ‘Who light fire in the yard this hour?’ When she decide to get up and drink some water, then she see the big blaze over by the tank, and say, ‘Fire!, Fire!’”.
The health centre worker said at the time, her children were asleep.
“I get up and wake them up and we run out. We go to come to the front but the heat was too much. We had to run around the back of the house and go over to the next neighbour. And then people start come to render assistance,” she recalled.











