Guyana Elections Commission (GECOM) Chief Elections Officer (CEO) Keith Lowenfield is expected to make a court appearance today at the Georgetown Magistrates’ Courts to answer to three private criminal charges filed against him for conspiring to commit fraud and for breach of public trust.

After dodging court marshals for weeks, Lowenfield was finally served on Thursday “after careful planning and strategy”.
This is according to Josh Kanhai and Desmond Morian, the private citizens who filed the charges against him. “Mr Lowenfield has been evading the summons, but fortunately, after careful planning and strategy, he was served at GECOM Secretariat’s Office,” the duo said in a statement to the media.
Kanhai, a member of The New Movement (TNM) party, filed a charge claiming that Lowenfield between March 5 and June 23, 2020 conspired with person(s) unknown to commit the common law offence of fraud when he submitted his Election Report dated June 23 which included figures that altered the results of the elections.

Meanwhile, Morian is contending that Lowenfield, while performing his duties as CEO of GECOM, ascertained the results of the March 2 elections “knowing the said results to be false”, the said wilful misconduct amounting to a breach of the public’s trust in the office of the CEO.
When those two charges came up for hearing before the Georgetown Magistrates’ Court on July 3, Lowenfield was a no-show. Attorney Glenn Hanoman, who is representing Kanhai and Morian, had told reporters that the CEO had been dodging service of the two private criminal charges.
The Court, as a result, issued a summons for Lowenfield to appear in court on July 24.
Following that court session, Morian filed another private criminal charge, contending that Lowenfield conspired with person or persons unknown to use Returning Officer Clairmont Mingo’s fraudulent figures to prepare a report that was submitted to GECOM Chairperson, Retired Justice Claudette Singh, back in March.













