Masked bandits storm mining camp, relieve miner of cash, gold

– duo nabbed on way to Parika

A 50-year-old miner is now traumatised after two masked bandits armed with cutlasses stormed his mining camp and relieved him of cash and other valuables.
However, quick action by the police led to the apprehension of the two suspects, who were attempting to leave the jurisdiction with their loot less than 24 hours after they had committed the crime.
The stolen items along with $400,000 cash were also recovered in their possession at the time of their arrests.
Based on reports received, the robbery took place at about 23:30h on Friday evening at the Takutu Backdam, Region Seven (Cuyuni-Mazaruni).
At the time, the miner, Joao Dsostristinto, his cook and a worker, were sound asleep in their mining camp.
The two suspects, each with a cutlass, stormed the camp and threatened to kill the miner if he did not hand over the cash he had in the camp, gold and other valuables. After putting up a resistance, the cutlass-wielding bandits bound Dsostristinto and proceed to ransack the camp. The cook and the worker were reportedly in their respective quarters as the men executed the robbery.
Dsostristinto reportedly told Police that the masked bandits relieved him of $850,000 cash that he had on his person and then robbed him of two mobile phones.
They also collected four bottles of brand name colognes and 14 pennyweights of raw gold before they made good their escape.
Shortly after the robbery, the worker and cook employed by Dsostristinto became aware that something was amiss and went to the man’s aid. The miner was then untied and he immediately contacted the police to report the matter.
Investigators began their probe and the hunt for the two suspects intensified after they received information that the men were leaving the region.
However, on Saturday around 15:00h, a team of policemen who were deployed at the Bartica Ferry Stelling observed two men acting in a suspicious manner as they were on board a vessel destined for Parika, East Bank Essequibo.
The duo was taken off the boat and taken to the Bartica Police Station where they were searched, during which the money and other items were discovered.
As such, they were arrested and are expected to make their court appearance in the new week.