Mother of 3 brutally stabbed to death by reputed husband

A mother of three was brutally stabbed to death on Saturday evening by her drunken reputed husband after she reprimanded him for his frequent alcohol consumption.
The lifeless body of 34-year-old Anuradha Khatoon, also known as “Mama,” a fruit vendor was found in the living room of her Best Village, West Coast Demerara (WCD) home. The suspect has since gone into hiding.
Based on reports received, Khatoon and the suspect—a 30-year-old fisherman—had been in a common-law relationship for the past five years, living together in Khatoon’s house along with her three children from a previous relationship.

Dead: Anuradha Khatoon

On Saturday evening, the suspect returned home under the influence of alcohol and was scolded by Khatoon to “ease on the alcohol drinking.”
This resulted in a heated argument during which the suspect became enraged, armed himself with a knife, and stabbed Khatoon in the throat. As such, the injured woman collapsed in the living room area.
The woman’s 12-year-old son who was awakened by his mother’s screams immediately raised an alarm. She was taken to the West Demerara Regional Hospital (WDRH), where she was pronounced dead on arrival.
During an inspection of the body, one stab wound was observed to the throat. A blood-stained knife suspected to be the murder weapon was found at the scene.
When the Guyana Times visited Khatoon’s home on Sunday, her mother, Shashikala Lall, shared that the suspect was in the constant habit of abusing her daughter.
Lall recounted that the suspect had been arrested twice for abusing Khatoon but was subsequently released on both occasions. Despite the abuse, Khatoon had forgiven him and allowed him to move back in.

The house where the murder occurred

“He works sea, and he drinks and smokes every time he comes back. He doesn’t give she no money. He would drink out all the money that he made at sea. When he is done, he would come home and abuse her. He would cuss her out, pick up a knife, sometimes he would get her and her children running out of the yard,” Lall said.
“Every time he got arrested, he would come and beg her and tell her that he is sorry and then she would forgive him, he would stop for some time and do the same thing again.”
Lall recounted that she often rescued her daughter from the suspect’s violent abuse. “All those times she was spared. Last night she was home by me preparing her stuff to sell and she left to go home. That was around 7:00 pm. I think she went to bed and around 11:00 pm, my grandson called me on the land phone and told me to come and see what happened to his mommy. He said she had stuff coming from her mouth.”
Lall said she hurried over to her daughter’s house and found her lying face down in a pool of blood, with her tongue out of her mouth. She said she notified other family members, and Khatoon was taken to the hospital where she was pronounced dead.
“When I turned her over, I saw a bore by her neck but it was after I realised that it was bigger like a slash. I kept calling for her and she was not responding… her son said that he heard his mother calling for him while he was sleeping but thought he was dreaming. He said after waking up and going outside he saw his mother lying on the floor and his stepfather was nowhere around.”
Khatoon’s son related that his mother and stepfather had been arguing earlier in the day. “They were back and forth and then he came back and killed her,” Lall said.
Further, the now-dead woman’s mother revealed that when she found her daughter’s motionless body, she used the land phone in the house to alert the police but they never came.
“I called them and they never showed up so we put her in a car and took her to the hospital. Then we had to go to the police station and that is when they came and they found the knife and everything in the house.”
She described her daughter as a hardworking woman whose death has left her children without a mother and their entire family heartbroken.
“My daughter was very humble, kind-hearted and hard-working. He killed my daughter and gone roaming free. I need justice for my daughter. She has a little child who still nurses from her. The whole day since my daughter died, the baby crying. Her 12-year-old son was crying too and he told me not to worry and that everything will be alright, but I don’t think everything will be okay. My daughter was my right hand. I need justice for my child”, the tearful Lall told this publication. (G-9)