Home Letters President Granger’s lies have no boundaries
“If you tell a lie big enough and keep repeating it, people will eventually come to believe it. The lie can be maintained only for such time as the State can shield the people from the political, economic and/or military consequences of the lie. It thus becomes vitally important for the State to use all of its powers to repress dissent, for the truth is the mortal enemy of the lie, and thus by extension, the truth is the greatest enemy of the State.” – Joseph Goebbels. Adolf Hitler’s right-hand man and Minister of Propaganda of the Third Reich.
• Since his ascension to office, President Granger has embarked on a series of ill-conceived decisions and declarations which have ranged from ineffective to bizarre to downright comical. Here are some examples:
• GECOM is the constitutional body which can declare the results of the election; yet after Region Four RO, Mingo’s APNU victory declaration, Mr Granger is still unmoved—not a single utterance of impropriety.
• The appointment of 85-year-old James Patterson as Chairman GECOM reeks of the dictatorial penchant of…
• His acquiesce to the No-Confidence Motion in December 2018 then a back somersault where his legal cohorts questioned whether 33 was greater than 32; and which took 12 months and 5 Judges in Trinidad to decide.
• The summary termination of 7000 sugar workers without any supplemental, alternative income.
• The alternative income for the jobless sugar workers was the manufacture of pepper sauce and plantain chips.
• The needless creation of 4000 military and para-military jobs for one kind of personnel.
• His address to civil violence in Region Five distances his party supporters who physically evicted PPP Commissioners and Observers from the ACCC and who constantly harassed the media in front of the GECOM offices.
• Granger also stated that GECOM must be allowed to function independently of political interference and influence yet the Guyana Police Force, an arm of the State, and personnel from the presidential guards descended to whisk away the Returning Officer for District Four and the Chairman of GECOM when Observers pointed to the deliberately erroneous tabulation of Region Four results.
• His call for all Guyanese to obey the law yet the Head of State is more guilty than his flock in not performing according to the rule of law.
• Mr Granger committed to a vote recount, conducted by Caricom, now his party has filed a court petition to block the recount. Nothing strange here as he perpetually trumpets the accomplishments of his mentor Burnham.
• Mr Granger repeats ad nauseam his shallow and insipid snippets which only he and his claque seem to believe.
• The fact that Mr Granger incessantly directs his declarations towards the responsibility of GECOM to pronounce the election results is akin to a captain sending in his batsmen to the wicket and declaring ‘don’t worry about getting out!’ No need to mention who appointed the umpire!
Mr Granger will not give up the presidency easily; he and his gang are waiting for a flashpoint, street protests, civil disobedience, property destruction etc to allow him to invoke provisions of the Constitution to declare a state of emergency…and continue his short-lived illegitimate rule.