Regent Street execution: Brazilian killed was once Brazil’s most wanted criminal

…shot 9 times

Euclid Da Silva, once described as Brazil’s most wanted person, has been shot dead execution-style on Tuesday night while seated in a vehicle on Regent Street, Georgetown.
The 50-year-old Brazilian national, late resident of Lot 23 Hadfield Street, Werk-en-Rust Georgetown, was riddled with bullets by two unidentifiable men with “long guns”, the Police have said in a statement.
Police Headquarters have said that another man who was seated in the passenger seat of the black Toyota Tacoma GTT 3257 was also shot to his face, right arm, and chest, and is hospitalised in a critical condition.
Reports are that at about 22:00h, Da Silva, who was driving the Tacoma vehicle, parked same on the northern side of Regent Street, and
about 20 minutes later, a white motorcar bearing an HB number plate approached from a westerly direction on Regent Street and parked about 15 feet behind the vehicle that Da Silva and the other man were seated in. Two suspects, both armed with long guns, then exited the car and discharged several rounds at the Tacoma vehicle before making good their escape.
According to the Police, DaSilva’s body was in a sitting position after the shooting. He sustained nine bullet wounds, and was pronounced dead on the scene. His body was escorted to the Memorial Gardens Funeral Home and Crematorium located in the Le Repentir Cemetery, and is awaiting a post mortem examination.
The other man was rushed to the Georgetown Public Hospital, where he underwent emergency surgery. His condition is listed as serious. Police have said that efforts made to locate the shooters have so far proven futile. Investigations are ongoing.
DaSilva, along with other inmates, had escaped from a high-security prison in Brazil in 2010, where he was serving a 29-year sentence for drug trafficking and money laundering. He then made his way to Guyana,
but was arrested by local Police that same year. Despite a High Court case to block his extradition, he was later handed over to the Brazilian authorities.
Back in 2012, he was hauled before local courts on three charges: illegally entering Guyana, conspiracy to commit a felony, and uttering a forged document. Among the allegations against him was that he had obtained a forged Guyana birth certificate and had used same to obtain a Guyana passport. He was released on $3 million bail, and all the charges against him were dismissed in 2014. (G1)