Speeding taxi driver killed in Linden-Soesdyke Highway accident

– 3 others hospitalised

A male taxi driver was killed on Friday while three others were injured following an accident along the Linden-Soesdyke Highway in the vicinity of Marudi.
The fatal accident which occurred at around 09:10h claimed the life of 29-year-old Mark Cameron of Guyhoc Park, Georgetown.

The car that Cameron was driving when he met his demise

Police stated that the motor car bearing registration number PVV 8399 was proceeding north along the western side of the Marudi Public Road at a fast rate of speed when the driver lost control of the vehicle.
As a result, the car toppled several times before coming to a halt. Reports are that Cameron fell out of the vehicle while it toppled.
Occupants Quakey Stanford, 38, of Guyhoc Park; Calldella Marshal, 25, of Stevedore Housing Scheme and Shemika Richards, 23, of Laing Avenue East Ruimveldt, sustained injuries about their bodies.

Dead: Mark Cameron

Based on reports received, Cameron was picked up in an unconscious state and taken to the Diamond Diagnostic Centre where he was pronounced dead on arrival. The other occupants were admitted and referred to the Georgetown Public Hospital.
The body is presently lying at the Memorial Gardens awaiting post-mortem examination.
When Guyana Times visited the home of the dead man his family was too distraught to speak with the media. However, this publication was informed that Cameron had survived an accident back in 2017.
In that accident, he had reportedly collided with a couple along the Cummings Lodge Railway Embankment. He was charged with two counts of causing death by dangerous driving and placed on $700,000 bail.
It is alleged that Cameron was driving HC 4097 in a manner dangerous to the public, resulting in the deaths of Dennis Ross and his girlfriend, Jewel Pestano. Cameron pleaded not guilty to the charges and was granted $350,000 bail on each charge.
It was reported that the couple was proceeding west along the embankment road on a motorcycle when the car, which was travelling east along the road, without any lights, collided head-on with them.
As a result of the impact, they were sent flying into the air. They were subsequently picked up and taken to the Georgetown Public Hospital, where Ross was pronounced dead on arrival and Pestano succumbed hours after the collision.