Structural works advancing on Govt Office Complex – Edghill

…as House clears $1.050B advance to accelerate project

With 100 per cent of the structural steel now onsite, works are advancing on the $15.8 billion Government Office Complex near the new Eccles/Haags Bosch roundabout on the East Bank of Demerara (EBD).
This was recently revealed by Public Works Minister Juan Edghill in the National Assembly during the consideration of a $1.050 billion advance taken last year to fasttrack works on the project.

The $15.8B Government Office Complex is nearing the halfway mark completion mark

This sum was part of an $18.8 billion Financial Paper that was presented to the House for advances made from the Contingencies Fund that catered for developmental works countrywide and other initiatives during the period November 18 to December 16, 2025.
Edghill told the House late Friday evening that the advance was taken to pay the contractor for accelerated works done on the 12-storey, four-tower complex that is expected to accommodate 6000 staff. Designed to consolidate a host of government services to ease the congestion in central Georgetown, the new complex facility will also house a major parking facility and to be outfitted with its own utility complex.
The minister was at the time responding to questions by Opposition Member, Ganesh Mahipaul of the A Partnership for National Unity (APNU) on the reason for the advance.
“We pay for measured works,” Edghill indicated. “This is what happens when you have good management and more work is done than what was anticipated, and you have to pay an interim certificate.”
To date, approximately $8.6 billion has been allocated to the project and the recent acceleration of works was due to the arrival of materials onsite.
According to the Public Works Minister, piling and foundation works are now 100 per cent completed at a combined total of $3.17 billion, while another $1.1 billion was spent on grubbing and sand filling works to prepare the project site.
A further $3.10 billion has been expended on structural works thus far on both the four tower complex and the utility building. There is another $1.24 billion going towards the continued payment for design works.
“[Those were] the drivers of the numbers you were asking about. So, the need for the Contingency Fund advance was to ensure that the contractor was paid so that the Honourable Member Mahipaul don’t come to the House and say why is it delayed. But we must be able to celebrate why we’re getting it done so fast and that’s what we did,” Edghill stressed.
The $15.8 billion Government Office Complex is being built by Caribbean Green Building Inc with Vicab Engineering as the project consultant.
Initially, the complex was located along the Heroes Highway but was subsequently relocated to a bigger space – 20 acres of which 13 acres will house the four tower buildings and the ministry’s Special Projects Unit along with all their machinery and equipment will take up the remaining seven acres.
As a result of the location change, government had issued the commencement order for the contractor to start works in February 2024, taking the deadline for completion to August 2026.

Deadline shifted
In a Facebook post last week, the Public Works Ministry indicated that the deadline has now shifted to January 2027.
The post said that Minister Edghill recently shared that the project is currently at 48 per cent completed and that a 24-hour work cycle has been implemented to meet the new deadline.
According to the ministry, the Government Office Complex is officially nearing the halfway mark with 100 per cent of the structural steel now on-site.
It went onto add had that work is moving fast across all four structures with Towers 1 and 2 currently seeing progress on the 8th and 9th floors, while Towers 3 and 4 are reaching the 6th and 7th floors.
The foundation slabs for the central utility building are being poured, and staircase frames are being installed across the complex. In addition, internal roads and the surrounding drainage network (Northern, Eastern, and Western channels) are also well underway.


Discover more from Guyana Times

Subscribe to get the latest posts sent to your email.