The trial of Andrew Seegobin for the murder of Ramanand Mingo commenced on Monday at the Berbice Assizes before Justice Deborah Kumar-Chetty.
A jury was empanelled to hear the matter and State Counsel Marisa Edwards, who is prosecuting the case, told the court that the State intends to call 15 witnesses, including several community residents, members of the victim’s family, police officers, and a pathologist.
In outlining the State’s case, Edwards told the court that the prosecution will seek to prove that an incident occurred on November 19, 2023, at Amos Shop, in Port Mourant, Corentyne, during which Seegobin allegedly stabbed Mingo also called “Rambo” in the chest. The injury, the court heard, perforated the man’s heart and led to his death.

The State’s first witness, Parbattie Rangasammy, who operates the business along with her son, told the court that she had known the accused for several years and that he was a frequent visitor to the shop. However, when asked in court whether she could identify him, the woman said she was unable to do so.
Rangasammy related that on the day in question, Mingo and his brother were at the shop. She said she had asked the two men to leave because of their behaviour, but one of the brothers pushed her to the ground.
The witness said that when she got up, she went inside the building, and upon returning, she observed Mingo with what appeared to be blood coming from his body.
During cross-examination by defence attorney Suriya Sabsook, the witness told the court that she had wanted the brothers to leave the premises because she did not want customers to be harassed. She also testified that she had previously spoken to Mingo about his behaviour.











