Home Letters UG responds to Ajit Persaud’s letter on promotions
The University of Guyana wishes to bring to the public attention the following facts:
1. Deputy Vice-Chancellors Dr Emanuel Cummings and Dr Mellissa Ifill have not been promoted to the level of Professor.
2. The University’s Vice-Chancellor is the administrative head of the University and speaks only on matters of policy directly relating to the University. She has never and does not make public statements about any political matter since she is not the political head of the University.
3. Dr Emanuel Cummings was not the chair of the committee which appointed the Vice- Chancellor. The University’s Council has outlined the 26-step year-long public and transparent process regarding the appointment several times in 2020. ( Press Statement From
The University Council On The Appointment Of Professor Paloma Mohamed-Martin, A.A. as the 11th Vice Chancellor Of The
University Of Guyana | University of Guyana (uog.edu.gy)
4. The personal, political affiliations of the Deputy Vice-Chancellors may be a matter of public record and they may represent inclusivity of different ends of the political spectrum. Both the Constitution of Guyana and the University of Guyana’s Acts and Statutes protect the academic citizen’s democratic right to freedom of affiliation, freedom of expression, freedom of speech, or non-speech acts. The University has several internal disciplinary processes which are used if any breaches of policy, laws, or ethics should occur.
5. However, the University as a state institution always works in consonance with the Government of the day in the best interest of Guyana and all Guyanese.
The University of Guyana takes this opportunity to wish everyone a healthful, peaceful, and prosperous 2021.
Director of DECC,
Office of the
The Public Relations
Public Relations Unit