Construction worker severely burnt after coming into contact with high-voltage wire

A construction worker who came into contact with a high-voltage electrical wire on Tuesday while working on a high rise building on Regent Street, Georgetown is thankful that his life has been spared.
The man, Leon Turnip, reportedly sustained severe burns on his body, and is presently receiving medical attention.

The man who sustained electric shocks while working on a building on Regent Street, Georgetown

Reports are that the man was working on a building next door to the Royal Jewel House on Regent Street, Georgetown when he came into contact with the power line at around 9:30h.
“…he came into contact with a high-voltage electrical wire while doing construction work at the top of a building….The man received extensive burns on his body, and was rushed to the hospital. Thankfully, he is alive”, the Police report has said.
Shortly after that incident, Guyana Power and Light (GPL), in a brief statement, explained that the man had come into contact with the network via a metal pole, which resulted in a shutdown of power in “sections of Georgetown, the entire West Bank and West Coast Demerara.”
“Once again, GPL implores contractors to observe the necessary safety precautions to avoid injury and unnecessary service disruptions. Our teams have commenced restoration to affected areas,” the GPL release has said.
This is not the first time an incident of this nature has occurred. Late last year, 27-year-old Shaqueen Butts of Airy Hall, Mahaicony, and 25-year-old Gousham Narine of Triple X Non-Pareil, ECD were killed after they came into contact with a live electric wire at Trans Rice Mill, located at Branch Road, Mahaicony, East Coast Demerara.
In that incident, it was reported that Butts and Narine were building a metal shed on the eastern side of the Trans Rice Mill, and were reportedly standing on a metal scaffold. An eyewitness who was working with the duo at the time told the Police that Butts and Narine were working together on one scaffold. Shortly after welding some plates, Narine was reportedly seen lengthening the 20-foot metal scaffold when it came into contact with the Guyana Power and Light (GPL) line and he was electrocuted.
At the time, Butts, who was still on the scaffold, held on to Narine and was also electrocuted. Both these men then fell off the scaffold, and were picked up and rushed to the Mahaicony Public Hospital, where they were pronounced dead.