Cop, 1 other slapped with armed robbery charge, remanded

Chinese restaurant robbery

Two of three alleged bandits, who were captured following an armed robbery committed at the Five Star Chinese restaurant in Tuschen, East Bank Essequibo (EBE), appeared at the Leonora Magistrate’s Court on Monday.

Dead: Mark Prince

Police Constable Jonathan Harry, who is attached to the Special Branch at Eve Leary, Georgetown, along with 20-year-old Akande Ross of Herstelling, East Bank Demerara, appeared before Magistrate Zameena Ali-Seepaul. The third suspect, who is still hospitalised, after he was shot at the scene of the robbery, is yet to be charged. Meanwhile, Police are also on the hunt for a female accomplice.
According to the prosecution’s case, on January 3, Harry, Ross, the third suspect, the now-deceased Mark Prince and a woman, invaded the Five Star Chinese Restaurant where they executed an armed robbery.

Akande Ross

The prosecution is contending that owner of the business, 43-year-old Guang Hong Wang, her husband and a customer, 37-year-old Navindra Lakahalall, were in the restaurant at the time when one of the men entered with a woman and purchased two beers. According to the prosecution’s case, soon after the couple consumed the beverage, they ordered a case of beer and in the process of Wang delivering it, the male suspect whipped out a handgun and relieved her of two cellular phones and an undisclosed sum of cash.

Policeman Jonathan Harry

He then turned his attention to Lakahalall and relieved him of one silver chain and an undisclosed sum of cash. In the height of the robbery, the three other suspects entered.
However, a licensed holder of a handgun who lives nearby heard the commotion and immediately went to investigate and was attacked by the armed suspect and another with a cutlass.

As such, he discharged several rounds in their direction after which the suspects fled the premises by way of motorcar PTT 8606 that was parked nearby, leaving their accomplice Prince who was badly wounded at the scene.
The police were contacted and the vehicle was intercepted at a roadblock on the public road in front of the Den Amstel Police Station.
At the time, the car had three occupants – one was in the back seat with what appeared to be a gunshot wound. He was questioned, arrested and taken to the Georgetown Public Hospital where he was admitted.
An unlicensed pistol with an empty magazine was found in the vehicle along with an undisclosed sum of cash and cellular phones.
Prince, on the other hand, was escorted to the Leonora Cottage Hospital where he was pronounced dead on arrival. A search on his person revealed $130,000.
Harry and Ross were both remanded to prison and the case will continue on February 3, 2020.