A secondary school student was taken into Police custody following a deadly altercation on Wednesday evening at Dukestown, Corriverton, Corentyne, Berbice, that has left 55-year-old fisherman Asmat Mohamed Hussain dead.
Police stated that Hussain was involved in an altercation with a 15-year-old male of Corriverton, during which he sustained injuries. Hussain was rushed to the No. 75 Regional Hospital, where he succumbed to his injuries while receiving medical attention.

The teenager was later arrested and remains in custody pending investigation.
For Hussain’s relatives, however, questions remain over precisely what transpired during the brief period between him leaving their company and being found unconscious.
His nephew Azim Hussain recalled that family members had been socialising together that evening when Hussain left to purchase two beers from a nearby Chinese supermarket. “Next thing, all I hear is somebody yelling,” the nephew recalled.
He turned around and saw his uncle lying motionless on the ground. “When I spin around, I see he is flat on the ground, unconscious. I hustle, run… pick him up and rush him to the hospital. That’s all what I could say,” he said.
The nephew remained at the hospital while doctors attended to Hussain, but the fisherman never regained consciousness. “I went to the hospital with him all the time, until about 11 o’clock, until the doctor pronounced him dead,” he related.
With the family uncertain about exactly what occurred before Hussain collapsed, the nephew believes surveillance cameras in the area could provide critical evidence.
“The only thing we could get is the footage from the camera, exactly what went on. All the evidence,” he said, adding that he had not yet seen the footage and was awaiting the Police investigation.
Meanwhile, one of Hussain’s brothers, Asmat Mohamed, was also nearby that night. Mohamed, who displayed a wound to one of his fingers and other injuries to his right palm, recalled returning from work and spending time with relatives, including Hussain, but said he did not realise when his brother left for the supermarket.
“By the time I turned, my brother was on the ground, bleeding through his nose,” he recalled.
The brother alleged that during the immediate aftermath, he encountered the teenager, who attempted to get away.
Mohamed said his brother was bleeding profusely from his nose and mouth while he wrestled with the teen, who eventually escaped from his grip. There were other attempts to prevent the teenager from leaving, but he managed to escape from the immediate scene.
Attention then turned to the critically injured Hussain and getting him medical attention.
Hussain’s sister, Bibi Hussein, recalled becoming extremely distressed after receiving word that something had happened to her brother. She later learnt that relatives had taken her unconscious brother to hospital.
Beyond the violent circumstances surrounding his death, Bibi remembers her brother as a peaceful man who had spent much of his life working to earn a living.
He worked as a cane harvester attached to the Skeldon Sugar Estate until its closure on December 29, 2017, before going into the fishing industry.
“He’s a very kind person, loving. He’s never a fighting person or anything. He’s very friendly. Loving person,” she said.
Meanwhile, Police have not disclosed what allegedly triggered the encounter, nor have they provided details about the injuries which caused Hussain’s death.
Discover more from Guyana Times
Subscribe to get the latest posts sent to your email.








