…as Guyana deploys 50 more GDF ranks to aid in rebuilding efforts in Grenada

Commander-in-Chief of the Armed Forces, President Dr Irfaan Ali, has lauded a group of 50 Guyanese soldiers who will soon leave local shores to aid in rebuilding efforts in the Caribbean Island of Grenada which was battered by Hurricane Beryl last week.
Under a special exercise dubbed ‘Operation Beret’, the Guyana Defence Force’s (GDF) 50-member contingent is slated to depart Guyana on Sunday.

Last week, as a category five hurricane, Beryl ploughed through the Caribbean with record-breaking wind speeds, causing massive destruction in several islands including loss of lives. Among the affected countries are: Barbados, Grenada, Jamaica, St Lucia, and St Vincent and the Grenadines – all Member States of the Caribbean Community (CARICOM).
Addressing the ranks at the army’s Camp Ayanganna Headquarters in Georgetown on Friday afternoon, President Ali said their sacrifice is a representation of core values of the GDF, that is, service to nation and people. He told the soldiers that they will be making a difference in the lives of their Caricom neighbours by helping to recover and rebuild.
“You’re not only going to be contributing to the rebuilding of infrastructure, homes and offices but you’ll be contributing to the rebuilding of lives and livelihood, and to the returning of normalcy to a sister State.”

GDF’s Chief-of-Defence-Staff, Brigadier Omar Khan










