File on death of 4-year-old for DPP on Monday

As investigations into the death of four-year-old Ramkarran Mohan — who was killed in a vehicular accident on March 14 last — continue, the Police declared on Saturday that the file will be sent to the Director of Public Prosecutions on Monday for legal advice.

This child was killed while in the company of his elder brother and an uncle at Tuschen Housing Scheme, East Bank Essequibo, after being run over by a vehicle driven by a female driver who is reportedly the daughter of a top official of the Guyana Police Force.

This incident has sparked a public outcry, and a protest was held, calling for charges to be instituted against the errant driver. However, the Police, in a release, have said that while they have noted and respect the views expressed by those concerned in the media, the public is cautioned not to rush to conclusions, because investigations into a matter is not a ‘fly by night’ process.

Moreover, the Police say, consideration has to be taken into the circumstances of how the accident occurred prior to them submitting the file for advice.

dead Ramkarran Mohan

“We urge all concerned to be patient, as we assure that a professional approach into the matter has always been at the forefront”, the police noted in a release.

The child, of Lot 1088 Tuschen New Housing Scheme, EBE, was returning home two Tuesdays ago, after he and others had gone to purchase a ball, when the accident occurred.

The child’s uncle related that he was standing at the corner of the road with each of the boys holding his hands waiting to cross when the silver Toyota Primo bearing registration number PVV 5084 struck Mohan. After hitting the child, the woman stopped the vehicle only after the boy’s uncle had run in front of the vehicle. The child was rushed to the Leonora Cottage Hospital and later referred to the West Demerara Regional Hospital, where he succumbed to his injuries.

The driver was on the same day released on $20,000 station bail after her father allegedly intervened. However, after a week had passed and she was not charged, relatives of the dead child, members of the community in which he had resided, and other persons took to the streets on Thursday last, calling on the Police to charge the woman.

Protesters believe that the Police are covering up for the driver. They note that if it were someone else, charges would have already been instituted.


Previous articleThe test
Next articleTelephone giants at loggerheads