Fire destroys Alexander Village apartment

A Wednesday morning fire has completely destroyed an apartment at First Street, Alexander Village, Georgetown.

The burnt-out apartment at Alexander Village, Georgetown

This newspaper was informed that the fire occurred at about 05:00h in the small one door, one window apartment in which Ronald Willis resided.
According to the man’s neighbours, on Wednesday, Willis and his son, who was visiting him, were asleep in the apartment. However, at about 05:00h, they recalled hearing Willis raising an alarm. Neighbours said they rushed out and saw the apartment engulfed in flames.
The neighbours told <<Guyana Times>> that they formed a bucket brigade and were able to put out the flames before firemen of the Guyana Fire Service arrived.
Meanwhile, neighbours are saying that the man believes the fire resulted from a malfunctioning fan. The official cause of the fire is still to be determined.
Also on Wednesday, another fire left a bedridden pensioner dead and several apartments in a yard at Lot 6 Lamaha Park, Sophia destroyed. Resulting from that fire, some 15 adults and seven children – all relatives – are now homeless.
The pensioner who has died is Vanci Hodge of Lot 7 Lamaha Park Squatting Area, Greater Georgetown. Relatives of the bedridden 74-year-old woman believe she died from smoke inhalation after the fire had broken out in the neighbouring yard, destroying several living quarters.
Hodge’s husband of 17 years, Leon James, told Guyana Times that a fire broke out in their neighbour’s yard at some time between 09:00h and 10:00h on Wednesday, and shortly after, they brought out his wife from her room, which was next to the burning house. At the time, he said, the woman was having a hard time breathing, so they rushed her to the hospital. Another relative said she died on way to the hospital. (G15)