Lindo Creek CoI
Lindo Creek Commission of Inquiry (CoI) Chairman, retired Justice Donald Trotman on Monday said that the Commission was forced to come to the conclusion that transcripts from the Guyana Defence Force (GDF) investigation were being deliberately withheld.
The CoI is tasked with investigating the circumstances surrounding the deaths of miners Cecil Arokium, Dax Arokium, Compton Speirs, Horace Drakes, Clifton Wong, Lancelot Lee, Bonny Harry and Nigel Torres who were shot dead and their bodies burnt at the Upper Berbice River mining camp between June 12 and 24, 2008.
Justice Trotman’s statement came after GDF Major Andy Pompey last week testified that he headed an inquiry team to investigate the foundation of the allegations against the Joint Services ranks in relation to the Lindo Creek killings.
He told the Commission that he interviewed a number of GDF ranks who were part of the Joint Services team charged with recapturing notorious criminal Rondell “Fine Man” Rawlins and his gang. The transcripts from those interviews were subsequently handed over to the Guyana Police Force (GPF) since they were conducting a criminal investigation at that time.
The Commission has requested those transcripts, according to Chairman Trotman, and to date, the GPF and the GDF through its counsels have not brought them forward. Trotman said he was now forced to arrive at the conclusion that the statements were being deliberately withheld.
“At this time, the feeling [is] that they are being deliberately concealed, but I would hope that that feeling be dispelled by honouring the requests by both agencies (GPF and GDF),” Trotman noted.
