Foreign Affairs and International Cooperation Minister, Hugh Todd summoned Venezuela’s Ambassador to Guyana, Carlos Perez, to express outrage over the attack on six Guyana Defence Force (GDF) soldiers. The soldiers were targeted by suspected sindicato operatives while navigating in Guyana’s waters.
Meanwhile, on Tuesday afternoon reports have indicated that at least one member of the sindicato gang, that attack the soldiers, has died.
President Dr Irfaan Ali, Commander in Chief of the Armed Forces, also on Tuesday confirmed that an evaluation of the situation is underway as he underscored the severity of the situation.
“We are taking this very seriously, [because] even if it is an armed gang or other organizations that operate on the Venezuela side on the border this is serious. This is serious because they fired on ranks in uniform,” President Ali said on Tuesday, as he responded to questions on the issue during the Energy Conference at the Marriott Hotel.

“Sometime later today [Tuesday] we will be in a position to have more details on what actually occurred. Let’s get the evaluation and then we will discuss further what is important for our protection of our men and women in uniform and also of our sovereignty.”
Gratitude to servicemen
Earlier on Tuesday, President Ali also shared his concerns on social media, expressing his deep concerns about the well-being of the soldiers who were injured in the attack, noting that he had spoken with the soldiers commending their bravery and unwavering dedication to national service. He expressed gratitude for their service and assured them of the nation’s full support. The soldiers, who were injured during the attack, are reported to be in good spirits.
“I expressed my gratitude for their service at our borders and assured them of the nation’s support and my concern for their well-being. They are in good spirits. Our thoughts and prayers are with them and their families,” the President said.











