…companies being shortlisted to salvage vessel
President Dr Irfaan Ali on Tuesday disclosed that the Commission of Inquiry (CoI) established to investigate the circumstances surrounding the tragedy is expected to begin groundwork next month. “The team is in place, they’ve started looking at their procedures, setting their procedures and working out their workplan and from what I’m told, in early September, the actual work would commence here on the ground,” he told a news conference at the Office of the President on Tuesday. The five members of the CoI were sworn in on July 30. They are Justice Godfrey Phillip Smith of Belize, the chairman, Dr Andrzej Jasionowski of Poland, Captain Hamada Fouda of Jamaica, and Attorney Nyree Dawn Alfonso and Rear Admiral (Ret’d) Hayden Pritchard, both of Trinidad and Tobago.
Secretary to the Commission, Attorney Javid Shadick last week reported that works are ongoing to review the constitutional and legal framework to ensure the inquiry is conducted properly and without any complications. Additionally, he said arrangements for the public hearings are being finalised. In the meantime, President Ali assured that efforts remain ongoing to support those affected by the tragedy. He said consideration is also being given to establishing a special home to provide care and support for the children affected by the tragedy. “The priority is to ensure, especially where children, women and parents are involved, to ensure that we have close connections from the Ministry of Health, Ministry of Human Services with those families,” he explained, referring to the Hope, Empathy, Aid, Resilience and Trust (HEART) initiative, which will provide long-term, multistakeholder assistance.

“In that initiative, we also have a legal mechanism to support families in terms of some of the legal challenges that they will face and they are facing, in terms of documentation, classification; the mental health support, the medical support, the counselling support, the spiritual support; support for children, we’re working, for example, to see if there is need to establish a special home for children who have been affected,” he explained. The HEART initiative is also dealing with financial assistance for families on a case-by-case basis. The MV Barima, a passenger and cargo ferry, sank on July 18, 2026, off the coast of Guyana near the Pomeroon River, claiming 73 lives, with another 30 persons still missing. The ferry remains on the seabed approximately 10 nautical miles offshore, resting on its starboard side. The deadline to submit Expressions of Interest (EOIs) closed on Friday and the Government is in the process of shortlisting companies to salvage it.
“We’ve received a number of Expressions of Interest, those interests are being shortlisted now…and then those shortlisted entities will be invited to supply prices,” President Ali said. When asked, he could not say how many companies expressed an interest nor the breakdown of local and international firms that submitted EoIs.
In the advertisement published seeking the EoIs, Government said it is seeking reputable salvage companies with a proven track record of successful vessel salvage operations in Guyanese or wider Caribbean waters, particularly environments characterised by strong currents and restricted visibility. Moreover, proposals must include a description of the proposed technical approach for the MV Barima salvage, with emphasis on the measures to protect and document forensic evidence for use by the CoI that was set up to probe the tragedy. Additionally, companies were asked to specify environmental protection measures.
MV Barima was en route to Port Kaituma, Region One (Barima-Waini), with 179 persons onboard when it capsized. So far, three individuals, including the captain of the vessel, were charged and remanded on 72 counts of murder.
Discover more from Guyana Times
Subscribe to get the latest posts sent to your email.









