Pele FC Alumni Corp inks historic Bursary Award agreement with UG
…Five students to benefit from full scholarship
The USA-based non-profit organisation “Pele FC Alumni Corporation” has taken to another level its commitment to invest in the educational development of Guyanese youths by inking with the University of Guyana a Bursary Award agreement which offers five undergraduate scholarships for new students to study at UG.
This commendable initiative, being executed under the Pele FC Alumni Corporation’s Philanthropy, Alumni, Civic Engagement (PACE) deal, has been inked on behalf of Pele FC Alumni Corporation by the Treasurer, Patrick ‘Labba’ Barton, in the presence of Chairman Denis Carrington and Executive Committee Member Eric ‘Riggy’ Smith. The University of Guyana was represented by Vice Chancellor Professor Paloma Mohamed and Ms. Travonna Azeez.
Attending this very significant and historic meeting was Dr. Mark Kirton, who played an essential role in making the initiative a reality.
Pele FC Alumni Corporation Chairman Denis Carrington commented: “Our UG initiative was the next step in our long-range plans of going deeper in reinforcing to our young people the importance of having a solid education as they transition into the work environment.”
Treasurer Barton added: “There are countless reasons a student would have to apply for financial aid or receive gifted funding to attend university, and no one should have their education limited due to a lack of household income.
“These scholarships provide an opportunity for students to earn an education. Without assistance from an outside source, such as Pele FC Alumni Corporation, students may have trouble paying for the degree they need to enter the workforce and become contributing members of society.
“This scholarship package to the University of Guyana has achieved one of our key initiatives in terms of promoting education.”
Professor Mohamed expressed delight, on behalf of the UG and on her own behalf, in an initiative that would further empower the students who would benefit from the scholarships, while also complimenting the organisation for its continued investment in the educational pursuits of Guyanese youths.
Following are the requirements to access this award:
– Scholarship awardees would be required to maintain a Grade Point Average of at least 2.7 for each academic year, and would be required to submit an official transcript to the Scholarship Committee at the end of each academic year.
– Each awardee would be required to attend an interview before the beginning of each new academic year.
– Applicants are required to send complete applications by email to [email protected]
The submission deadline is Monday, 15th August, 2022.
The application process also includes the submission of the following:
1. A 500-word essay presenting the applicant’s long-term educational and professional goals and the special and unique qualities which make them a suitable candidate for the award
2. Two character references
3. One passport-size digital photograph
4. Acceptance letter from the University of Guyana
5. Engagement and active participation in community-based activities
6. Demonstration of verifiable financial need
7. Presentation of an essay on a subject to be determined and
8. Proof of residence in Region Four.
Interested persons seeking further information can email [email protected] or call/Whatsapp (592) 623 3156.