Pensioner died from smoke inhalation, burns – PME

Lionel Kyte, the 68-year-old pensioner who perished in the Cummings Lodge, East Coast Demerara fire on Monday, died from smoke inhalation and burns about his body.
This was revealed by Police, after the post-mortem examination was conducted by Government Pathologist, Dr Nehaul Singh. The body has since been released for funeral arrangements.

The pensioner’s apartment that was destroyed by fire

Kyte would have died at his Cummings Lodge, Greater Georgetown home after the blaze erupted at around 16:20h. It completely destroyed the wooden house, which was being rented by the pensioner.
The elderly man, who was said to be ill, lived alone at the house.
The landlady told investigators that she observed smoke emanating from the house and on further inspection, discovered the main door to the building was locked. Having made this observation, she raised an alarm and neighbours formed a bucket brigade in efforts to extinguish the fire.
Shortly after, a fire tender from the Campbellville Fire Station arrived at the scene and went into action to douse the flames. An investigation conducted afterwards discovered the badly burnt body of the pensioner in the kitchen. Kyte is the third person in less than two weeks to have perished in a fire which started at their homes. (G12)