
John Blanchard
A 40-year-old man who was, in 2016, handed three life sentences for hacking his three children to death as they lay asleep, has lost in his bid to have the Guyana Court of Appeal reduce the prison terms. His appeal against the jail terms was dismissed on Monday.
John Blanchard of Dr Charles Sand Road, Soesdyke, East Bank Demerara, was initially charged with the October 11, 2011 murders of his three young children: Joy, aged six; Belika, aged 10; and Daniel, aged four. Their cause of death was given as multiple stab wounds.
He was, however, allowed by State Prosecutors to plead guilty to three counts of manslaughter. Justice Barlow imposed a life sentence on each count, instructing that they are to be served concurrently. The Judge further ordered that the killer does not become eligible for parole until after serving a minimum of 30 years.
It was reported that the convict had accused his wife, Onica Blanchard, of being unfaithful since she had been working in the interior at a mining camp, and had been away from home for a very long time.
On the day in question, the couple had a telephone conversation during which Onica told her husband that she wanted the house and land. The woman also told her husband that he should keep the children.












