State House attack: Presidential Guard stabbed 5 times promoted

Telon Perreira, the Presidential Guard who was stabbed five times by a Nigerian national during last week’s attack at State House, has been promoted to the rank of Corporal.
He received his new stripe from President Dr Irfaan Ali, while lying on his hospital bed on Saturday.
President Ali along with Commissioner of Police (ag) Clifton Hicken, visited the injured rank at the hospital and promoted him. The Head of State again praised the rank for his bravery and courage.

Newly promoted Corporal Telon Perreira receiving his stripe from President Dr Irfaan Ali

Following his promotion, Corporal Perreira told the President he is eager to return to work.
On December 15, at about 07:30h, Nigerian national Bethel Ikena Chinezie approached the security detail at a southern guard hut in the compound of State House, located near Carmichael Street, with a demand to see the President.
He was cautioned about having to be processed before entering the compound, but he resisted being processed, then whipped out a knife from a pouch he was carrying and used same to stab Telon Perreira – one of the guards present – five times about his body and to his neck. After injuring Perreira, Chinezie relieved a female guard of her firearm and retreated from the guard hut.

Corporal Telon Perreira recovering in the hospital

He then began firing shots in the area. Civilian videos of the ordeal on Thursday morning captured Chinezie walking backward from the guard hut while continuing to exchange gunfire with the Presidential Guards and other ranks. The severely injured Nigerian national was later surrounded, intercepted, and disarmed by ranks.
Both the injured guard and the attacker were rushed to the GPHC for immediate medical attention. Perreira was rushed into surgery at the GPHC, but later regained consciousness and remains hospitalised at the Georgetown Public Hospital.
At the scene of the shooting, Police ranks retrieved a 9mm pistol and seven 9mm spent shells. While there were no other injuries reported, there was visible damage to nearby business entities.
Only a few days ago, Chinezie, who was initially on a ventilator battling for his life, came off and was questioned immediately. He was hospitalised after being shot thrice by Police officers during the attack.
Information on Chinezie has revealed that he is employed with a cleaning service company. He arrived in Guyana on March 13, 2020, and was previously employed with a security company. (G9)