Teenager electrocuted by loose GPL wire

A teenager met his death on Sunday evening after a Guyana Power and Light electrical wire fell on him at Canal Number Two Polder, West Bank Demerara (WBD).
Dead is 17-year-old Vivek Bridgemohan of Lot 18 Alliance, Canal Number Polder. Reports are the teenager went to a shop to purchase an item for his father and on his way home, he stopped to chat with a friend. It was while chatting with his friend that the electrical wife fell on him.

The area where the teen met his demise

He was picked up by his father who was summoned to the scene and rushed to the West Demerara Regional Hospital where he was pronounced dead on arrival.
His father, Nazoor Azeez in tears told Guyana Times that his son chose to go the shop towards Belle West instead of going in the opposite direction due to the distance. The father recalled being in his bed at about 19:00h when one of his son’s friends frantically called out to him informing the family of what had happened.
The father rushed to the scene and attempted to save his son, but it was too late. “After I see meh son with the wire on top of him, I used a piece of board to remove it but me too get shock… like the shock get me so confused, I pick up meh son and put he in the car and drive to the hospital,” he explained.

Electrocuted teen: Vivek Bridgemohan

He noted that as he picked up his son, he felt his body jumping which meant that he was still alive but soon after, there was no pulse and no movement. Azeez noted that as soon as he reached the hospital, the doctor examined the young man and pronounced him dead.
“The doctor tell me that it had to be that my son heart give away because of the shock,” he added. The young man usually assists his father when he goes to sell at Bourda Market, in Georgetown. In addition, he assisted around the house and also in the farm.
A woman who reside a short distance away from where the incident occurred explained that she heard screams in the area but due to the darkness, they saw nothing when they looked out. It was until another young man shouted for help that they realised something was wrong.
She added that the young man’s hands and abdomen were severely burnt. From all indications, after the wire fell on the young man, he attempted to slap it off but instead slipped on a bridge.
“The live wire fell on him and due to the voltage, it burnt him severely,” the woman stated.
Guyana Times understands that officials from the Guyana Power and Light (GPL) have visited the home of the young man and have extended their condolences to the relatives. The teenager leaves to mourn five siblings, his parents and other relatives.
A post-mortem examination is expected to be conducted on Friday. (Bhisham Mohamed)