Canje boat mishap: Body of ex-cop recovered on his 30th birthday

The body of an ex-Police officer was on Monday morning fished out of the Canje River. He was missing following a boat mishap on Saturday.
Dead is 29-year-old Kevin France of Lot 2 Manchester Village, Corentyne, Region Six (East Berbice-Corentyne). He would have been celebrating his 30th birthday – May 16, 2022; the day his body was fished out of the Canje River.
Reports are that France along with two of his cousins, aged 28 and 35, along with a 52-year-old man and the 62-year-old boat operator boarded a 14-foot boat – “Simplicity” – which was powered by a 50hp outboard engine and headed to Banib which is along the Canje River.
The men were reportedly on an expedition to make checks on cattle belonging to one Ronald Victor.

Dead: Kevin France

Reports are that while at New Forest Village, there were two boats coming in the opposite direction ahead of “Simplicity” and as they passed, the waves from the boats caused “Simplicity” to capsize. Four of the men – Kenton Tyndall, Manley Grant, Paul Tyndall and Cecil Chisholm, managed to swim to shore. However, upon checking, it was observed that France was missing.
According to France’s aunt, Natasha Williams, with whom he lived, her nephew left home shortly after 06:00h to go with a cousin to the Canje River to do some work with a cousin. She later received information that there was an accident and the others were able to survive.
France could not swim but made a trip to Banib the previous day and returned in the afternoon.

Undertakers removing Kevin France’s body in the presence of family members

His aunt said that his uncle wanted someone to work on his farm and was taking the now dead man to get acquainted with the farm.
The body was discovered at New Forest the same spot where the incident occurred. Police had initially kept all the men that were in the boat with France in custody.
According to one of the dead man’s uncles, the entire family is grieving, but he noted that they are pleased that they were able to recover the body.
After leaving the Police Force, France was employed with a private security company but was unemployed for the past six months. France was a father of a four-year-old child. (G4)