Murder at Middle Road: Victim fought back but was overpowered by accused – prosecutor tells court

…accused mastermind slapped with murder charge

…bloodstained clothes of killer, murder weapon recovered

One week following his arrest in connection with the horrific murder of 21-year-old Amit Singh, the alleged mastermind, Yoogendra Sukhdeo, was charged and remanded to prison on Tuesday when he appeared at the Georgetown Magistrates’ Courts.

Dead: Amit Singh

Before Chief Magistrate (ag), Sherdel Isaacs-Marcus, Sukhdeo stood accused of murder.
According to the charge, it is alleged that on October 24 at Middle Road, La Penitence, Sukhdeo committed the murder during a robbery.
He was represented by attorney Gordon Gilhuys, who claimed that his client was beaten and not taken for medical attention.
However, Special Prosecutor Latchmie Rahamat informed the court that the accused had sustained injuries about his body during a scuffle with Singh on the day of the murder. She explained that during the altercation, Singh was overpowered by the suspect, who proceeded to hit him with a piece of wood, thus leading to his demise.

Remanded: Accused
mastermind, Yoogendra

In her submissions to the court, Rahamat said that Singh was last seen in the presence of the suspect at about 13:30h on October 24 and at about 16:00h, after calls to Singh’s cell phone went unanswered, the family made a missing person’s report to the Police.
As such, she told the court that an investigation was launched and Sukhdeo was arrested.
“Upon his arrest, he took the Police to a house at Middle Road, La Penitence, where the bludgeoned body of Singh was lying in a pool of blood wrapped in a sheet,” she added.
Further, Sukhdeo was cautioned after which he took the investigators to his Diamond, EBD home where he handed over $7,790,000 in cash; he admitted to taking the money from Singh following the murder.
The suspected murder weapon and several pieces of clothing with bloodstains were found at Sukhdeo’s Diamond, East Bank Demerara (EBD) home, where had taken investigators after his arrest.
Rahamat added that the accused was taken to CID headquarters where he was formally told of the offence and cautioned again.
During an interview, he reportedly provided to the Police, video and audio statements, admitting to bludgeoning the victim to death and taking his money.
He also indicated to investigators that he received some injuries from a scuffle with the victim, who had put up a fight.
Sukhdeo will make his next court appearance on November 28.
Four suspects were initially in Police custody over the murder of Singh, the son of a popular Campbellville, Georgetown businessman, which occurred on the afternoon of Tuesday last.
The other three suspects are Sukhdeo’s three employees, who have since denied their involvement in the crime.
Crime Chief Wendell Blanhum has told this publication that Police were able to confirm their respective alibis and as such, they were released from custody.
Police had reported that the victim was lured to the house under the pretext that a group of men had gold for sale.
Whilst at the house, the victim was brutally murdered. Singh was then relieved of a large quantity of cash, which he had in his possession to purchase the gold.
The autopsy results revealed that Singh succumbed to multiple injuries, including blunt trauma to his head, face, and neck, along with several fractures. Further, he suffered broncho aspiration of blood, indicating the inhalation of gastric contents.
Singh’s grieving family, proprietors of D Singh Trading at Campbellville, will bid their final farewell to him today at his cremation.