Police hunt daughter, 4 others held

As Police reopen the investigation into the 2008 murder of East Bank Essequibo (EBE) businessman

Dead businessman: Habiboodean
Dead businessman: Habiboodean

Habiboodean, four persons have been arrested while law enforcement continues the search for a fifth suspect, Crime Chief Wendell Blanhum confirmed.
Superintendent Blanhum said that investigators were now seeking the late businessman’s daughter who was a person of interest in the probe. He said despite several visits to her home, she could not have been located.
However, according to Blanhum, the woman has already been blacklisted at all legal ports of entry, and would be promptly arrested if she attempted to flee the country.
The Crime Chief could not say how soon charges would be laid against the suspects.
Habiboodean, 77, of Ruby, EBE, died at a hospital after being badly beaten in his home on February 15, 2008.
The businessman’s wife, Bibi Nazeela Habiboodean, now 50, and his former employee, Terry Lewton, 38, of Vergenoegen, EBE, were charged with the murder, but the case was subsequently dismissed owing to insufficient evidence.
But investigators reopened the cold case following a breakthrough last week when one of the four men arrested for the murder of Mohamed Munir, 75, and his wife, Bibi Jamila Munir, 69, who were burnt to death in their Good Hope, EBE home said he had knowledge of Habiboodean’s death.
Twenty-eight-year-old Linden Lewis, called “Bullet”, during interrogation, told investigators that he was the hit man behind Habiboodean’s murder.
According to the suspect’s claims, he was hired by the businessman’s daughter who complained that his other relatives had received properties and other assets, while she had received nothing.
The woman reportedly stated that she wanted her father’s fuel station, his cash in the bank, and assets in Georgetown.
She reportedly promised Lewis $6 million and a house and land to kill her father.
Lewis reportedly told investigators that five persons sat down and planned the elderly man’s murder.
On February 15, 2008, the relative reportedly helped Lewis to gain access to Habiboodean’s house.
The man said he was confronted by the businessman who asked him “What you doing here?”
Lewis reportedly informed the businessman that he was sent by his (Habiboodean’s) daughter to kill him and began beating the elderly man with a piece of wood.
Lewis said that he never received what was promised to him, but instead he was given $5000 “to go into the bush”.