Update: Elderly man perishes in Diamond fire

This publication earlier reported that 2 persons perished in Diamond Housing Scheme fire, however, new information indicates that it was just a 90-year-old that died in the blaze.

He has been identified as Rupert Mc Lean Williams.

Reports are that the fire started just about 8:30h in the back room of the house. Relatives suspect that the man, an amputee, may have started the fire while attempting to light a cigarette.

His granddaughter, who was at home with him, was at a nearby shop at the time of the incident. However, when she returned, she saw the entire building engulfed in flames and subsequently summoned the Guyana Fire Service.