Warlock man arrested with gunshot wound

East La Penitence execution

As Police continue their investigation into the murder of 31-year-old Paul Rodney, also called “Shirts”, a Warlock man was arrested on Tuesday evening.
Police acting on information went to the house where the suspect was apprehended. He was found with a gunshot wound to one of his legs. From all indications, the suspect might have been shot during the altercation on Monday morning.

 Paul Rodney
Paul Rodney

New information reaching Guyana Times revealed that the now dead man might have been killed by his own firearm. The firearm is suspected to be illegal.
This newspaper understands that Rodney, who is a known character to the Police, was beaten mercilessly by his attackers during an altercation following an argument over a deal that went sour. The confrontation started at a party in East La Penitence and ended at Avocado Avenue where Rodney’s body was found with at least seven gunshot injuries.
He attempted to escape, but was shot to one of his feet and collapsed. A source close to the investigation told this newspaper that based on investigations, it was at this time that his assailants walked up to him and pumped several more bullets to his abdomen and chest. This newspaper was also told that the now dead man reportedly begged for his life when he was cornered, but his murderers did not spare him.
The suspect is assisting with the investigations. Police revealed that at about 02:55h on Monday, a mobile patrol on Mandela Avenue heard several loud explosions and went to investigate. Upon arrival, a group of men were observed running as they discharged several rounds into the air.
Upon checking the area, the Police noticed Rodney lying motionless on the ground and covered in blood. Without hesitation, he was taken to the Georgetown Public Hospital (GPHC) where he succumbed to his injuries.
At the dead man’s house, his uncle, Derrick Rodney, confirmed that his nephew was at a function when he was killed. He could not say what could have been the motive for the murder, but held out that his nephew was not involved in any criminal activities.
In fact, he stated that the man provided for his ill father on a 24-hour basis, but the Police on the other hand posited that he was a known character. Police are continuing their investigations.