An increase in fires involving abandoned and unoccupied buildings across New Amsterdam and its environs has prompted a warning from the Guyana Fire Service (GFS), with investigators linking the majority of the incidents to deliberate acts.
Divisional Fire Officer Clive McDonald said the situation has become a growing concern, particularly in New Amsterdam, Canje, and Palmyra, where multiple unused structures have been destroyed since the start of the year.
“Thus far this year, within the New Amsterdam area, we’ve responded to 12 unoccupied buildings or structures on fire… 11 of those are private and one… a former Ministry of Labour building,” McDonald revealed.
The most recent incident occurred earlier on Wednesday at Winkle Road in New Amsterdam, where another abandoned structure went up in flames. Just days earlier, on Saturday, an unoccupied building at Palmyra, East Canje, was destroyed – the third such fire recorded in that community for the year.
According to McDonald, investigations have found that most of the fires were not accidental.

“The others that I mentioned… 11 unoccupied buildings… a person or persons maliciously set fire to those structures,” he said.
The affected properties include several abandoned and recently vacated buildings across the township, among them the former Ministry of Labour building on Princess Elizabeth Road and an unused ward at the National Psychiatric Hospital.
In at least one case, fire officials say the motive behind the blaze was to avoid demolition costs. Referring to a fire at a building on Penitentiary Walk in New Amsterdam, McDonald explained that investigations uncovered deliberate actions by those responsible.
Because they don’t want to pay a contractor… or some specialist person to demolish those buildings… so they decided to burn it down,” he said.
The Fire Service is now urging residents, especially those living near abandoned or dilapidated structures, to remain vigilant and report suspicious activity.
“I want to make a call to residents… to be on the lookout… If you see anything suspicious, contact the Fire Service or the Guyana Police Force,” McDonald urged.
Meanwhile, the division has responded to more than 160 fires so far this year across Regions Five and Six, including grass, rubbish, and structural fires.
“We noticed there’s an increase in grass fires within the division… so again we want to say to persons… when you are burning dry grass and vegetation… do so in small quantities, supervise it, and ensure it is properly extinguished before you leave,” he added.
McDonald noted that the Fire Service is working closely with the Guyana Police Force as investigations continue into the spate of fires, with ongoing efforts to identify and bring those responsible to justice.
Discover more from Guyana Times
Subscribe to get the latest posts sent to your email.









