A 30-year-old Berbice cash crop farmer was on Friday remanded to prison after appearing before Magistrate Shivani Lalaram charged with trafficking cannabis allegedly found in a minibus along the West Coast Berbice (WCB). Carlos Chung of Ithaca Village, West Bank Berbice (WBB), and also of Stanleytown, New Amsterdam, appeared at the Weldaad Magistrate’s Court, where he denied the charge. 
It is alleged that on May 13 at Number Seven Public Road, WCB, Chung had 2.80 kilograms (kg) of cannabis in his possession for the purpose of trafficking. Attorney-at-Law Joel Edmond, who represented Chung, told the court that the narcotics were discovered in the trunk of a public transportation minibus, which had several occupants at the time. Edmond argued that there were at least seven persons in the vehicle when the discovery was made and maintained that the prosecution’s case was still incomplete since the analysis certificate had not yet been produced.
However, Police Prosecutor Sergeant Garfield Edwards opposed bail, stating that while the analysis certificate was outstanding, the remainder of the case file had been completed. Edwards told the court that the narcotics were allegedly found inside a bag in the trunk of the minibus and that the bag was identified as belonging to Chung. According to the prosecutor, the defendant allegedly provided police with a video and audio recording admitting ownership of the bag and claiming he had collected the cannabis from a taxi driver in Rosignol for delivery to Georgetown.
The prosecutor further alleged that Chung initially gave police the name “Shamar Lindie” when the narcotics were discovered, and said statements obtained from other passengers supported that claim. Edwards also raised concerns about the defendant providing two separate addresses and argued that he posed a flight risk if released on bail. The court also heard that the minibus driver reportedly told investigators that Chung boarded the vehicle carrying the bag in question. After hearing submissions, Magistrate Lalaram refused bail, citing the seriousness of the offence. Chung was remanded to prison and the case will continue on June 3 at the Fort Wellington Magistrate’s Court.
Discover more from Guyana Times
Subscribe to get the latest posts sent to your email.









