The jury hearing the murder trial of Corentyne resident Dipnarine Seelall was on Thursday shown a video-recorded Police interview in which the accused was heard admitting that he pushed his now-dead wife, Tavita Lall.

The recording was played at the Berbice High Court as the prosecution wrapped up its case against Seelall, who is accused of murdering Lall following an incident at their Number 64 Village, Corentyne home in 2022.
The trial is being conducted before Justice Gino Persaud and a 12-member jury. State Prosecutor Marisa Edwards is presenting the prosecution’s case, while Seelall is represented by Attorney-at-Law Vinay Punwa.
Seelall has pleaded not guilty to the charge.
During Thursday’s proceedings, Police Detective Officer Aaron Seegobin took the witness stand and gave evidence concerning an interview he conducted with the accused during the investigation.
A video recording of that interview was subsequently played in court for the jury.
During the recording, jurors heard Seelall speaking in his own words about the circumstances surrounding the incident and admitting that he had pushed Lall.
The recorded interview was separate from a caution statement which was the subject of evidence from Police Inspector Chaitram Seeram. That interview was also video-recorded and played for the jury.

Seeram testified extensively about the circumstances under which that statement was obtained after Seelall was taken into Police custody.
The Police Inspector told the court that the caution statement was taken on the very night Seelall was taken into custody and maintained that what was recorded in the document represented what the accused had told him.
Questions arose about Seelall’s ability to read and write and the fact that the document did not bear his signature.
Seeram acknowledged that the accused had indicated that he could not read and write properly. He also testified that Seelall did not want to sign the caution statement.
Instead, a thumbprint was used on the document.
According to Seeram, however, it was Seelall who requested to see the caution statement after it had been taken.
The officer testified that the accused looked at the document for approximately one minute before handing it back to him.
Seeram maintained that at no point did Seelall tell him that he did not understand the contents of the statement.
He also maintained before the jury that the caution statement contained the words and information given to him by the accused.
Burns to 53 per cent of body
The jury also heard medical evidence concerning the extent of the injuries Lall suffered.
Dr Claud Campbell testified about Lall’s medical condition following the incident and told the court that she had sustained second-degree burns covering approximately 53 per cent of her total body surface area.
His evidence detailed extensive burns affecting several areas of her body, including her face, chest, abdomen, upper extremities, and back.
The medical evidence indicated that the burns affected both a substantial area and several parts of Lall’s body.
Dr Campbell also gave evidence about the medical consequences associated with burns of such magnitude.
He explained that extensive burns could result in significant fluid loss and other serious complications. The jury heard that such complications can become life-threatening, including by affecting the functioning of the heart.
Government Pathologist Dr Nehaul Singh also testified during the prosecution’s case.
Dr Singh, who conducted the post-mortem examination, gave evidence about the burn injuries he observed on Lall’s body and the findings he made during that examination.
The pathologist testified to observing burns affecting both the front and back of her body and gave his medical opinion concerning the injuries and Lall’s death.
The medical evidence followed testimony earlier in the trial from Lall’s son, who recounted what his injured mother allegedly told him after the incident.
The son had testified that his mother told him that Seelall had pushed her onto the stove.
That evidence was among several pieces of testimony presented by the prosecution concerning what allegedly transpired at the Number 64 Village home.
The defence, however, has challenged aspects of the State’s case and during the trial raised evidence concerning previous occasions on which Lall had allegedly attempted to take her own life.
Following the evidence of the Police witnesses and the playing of the recorded interview, the prosecution formally closed its case.
The defence subsequently called witnesses on Seelall’s behalf before also closing its case.
From the docks, the accused said he did not push his wife and he loved her. He also said that on several occasions his wife attempted suicide.
Seelall is accused of killing Lall, a mother of four, who worked as a sweeper/cleaner at Tagore Memorial Secondary School.
The charge alleges that he murdered her between January 7 and February 22, 2022.
Lall sustained severe burns following an incident at the couple’s Number 64 Village home in January 2022.
After being injured, she was initially taken to the New Amsterdam Public Hospital before being transferred to the Georgetown Public Hospital because of the severity of her condition.
She remained hospitalised as doctors battled to treat her extensive burns, but subsequently died on February 22, 2022.
Seelall had initially been charged in connection with the incident before the matter became a murder case following Lall’s death.
The case eventually reached the Berbice High Court, where Seelall pleaded not guilty before Justice Persaud, and a 12-member jury was empanelled to determine his fate.
The trial continues next Wednesday when Justice Persaud is expected to head closing submissions from both the prosecution and the defence before asking the jury to determine Seelall’s fate.
Discover more from Guyana Times
Subscribe to get the latest posts sent to your email.









