Family of murdered East Ruimveldt youth calls for justice

The family of 18-year-old Adrian Purlette, who was stabbed on Wednesday evening over money at D’Urban Street, Lodge, Georgetown, is calling on the Guyana Police Force (GPF) to bring the perpetrators to justice.

Dead: Adrian Purlette

His grieving sister, Candacy Moriah, told Guyana Times that she was at home when she received a telephone call informing her that her brother was stabbed.
As the older sister fought to hold back her tears, she called on the Guyana Police Force (GPF) to conduct a thorough investigation and swiftly bring those responsible for her brother’s death to justice.
“He was a nice person, and I know that I miss him, and it hurts. I want them to find the people who kill my [brother]. I just wish if they could find them so that we can get justice for him. It is hard, and he was the smallest one. We miss him, and we love him, but as I said, I just want we get justice for him and not just the case pass away,” she distraught sister said.
She further added that despite her brother having a few bad friends as a company; he was a nice person and did not deserve to die that way.
“When he is around, he is very helpful and is a very nice person other than his ways straying with friends. He is got in little trouble with the boys, but he is a nice person,” she concluded as fears began pouring down her cheeks.
It was reported that the now dead teen was visiting a friend’s house at Hoopie Lane, between D’Urban and Hadfield Streets, Georgetown, when, at about 21:00h, three men went to the location and demanded money from him.
Purlette reportedly told the men that he had no money, and this led to a heated argument. According to reports, the teenager was leaving the area but the men followed and confronted him, during which he was dealt several stabs to his body.
His friend has since told investigators that five minutes after leaving his home, he heard Purlette shouting that he had been stabbed. He stated that in going to his rescue, he saw the youth lying in a pool of blood, and he then picked him up and rushed him to the Georgetown Public Hospital Corporation (GPHC), where he succumbed to the injuries in the wee hours of Thursday. Police have since launched a manhunt for the three males as investigations continue. (Shemar Alleyne)