Linden man further remanded for murders of ex-lover, new boyfriend

Forty-eight-year-old Maxwell Usher was on Monday further remanded to prison for the murders of his ex-lover, Imogene Gordon, 49, and her boyfriend, Royston John.
He made his first appearance on March 24, 2020, before Magistrate Wanda Fortune at the Linden Magistrate’s Court after he was slapped with two counts of murder.
It is alleged that Usher murdered the duo on March 17.
When the matter came up for hearing on Monday, Magistrate Fortune was forced to adjourn the matter to November 16 as the prison was experiencing power outages which caused disruptions to the virtual hearing.
The bodies of Gordon, of Lot 177 Prosville, Wismar, Linden, and John, of East Berbice-Corentyne, were discovered at about 21:00h on March 17 at the woman’s Prosville home with multiple stab wounds after Police were summoned to the scene.
John was reportedly discovered lying on his back at the door of the lower flat of the incomplete two-storey building while Gordon was discovered lying face down in the lower flat.
Post-mortem examinations conducted on the bodies of the two have since given the cause of death as multiple incise wounds, which include cuts and stabs.
Police who were summoned to the scene had discovered a knife some six feet away from Gordon’s body. The knife is suspected to be the murder weapon.
A neighbour recalled hearing the woman screaming prior to the bodies being discovered while indicating that her cell phone calls went unanswered.
The neighbour then called the Wisroc Police Outpost and lodged a report.
Usher was arrested a day after the incident in the vicinity of Prosville, where the incident occurred, and was transported to the Linden Hospital Complex, where he was treated for a gaping wound in the hand.
Information revealed that just recently, Gordon had filed a police complaint against Usher, with whom she had once shared a common-law relationship. Reports are that the woman had complained that he threatened to chop off her hands and feet.
He was arrested and charged in connection with these allegations on March 10 and later appeared at Linden Magistrate’s Court before Magistrate Dylon Bess, where he pleaded guilty to the charge. He was placed on a six-month bond to keep the peace. (G1)