Resurgent Pele rout Flamingo, Beacons bounce back against Black Pearl

–Third round Corona Beer Invitational tournament

By Michelangelo JacobusBy Michelangelo Jacobus Third round action in the Corona Beer Invitational Football tournament got underway on Friday evening at the Georgetown Football Club with three matches.Beacons FC, who suffered a 13-1 thrashing at the hands of Western Tigers on Sunday last, rebounded well to rout Black Pearl FC by 7 goals to nil.A brace each from Darian Dickson (17th and 50th minutes) and Quasan Mc Aulay (26th and 47th minutes) ensured that Beacons

Pele FC Captain Stephon Hussain scored two goals in his side’s defeat of Flamingo

took charge of the one-sided affair; while Kimba Braithwaite (29th), Patrick Joseph (76th) and Keifer Brandy (81st) scored a goal apiece to cement their side’s resounding victory. A young but ominous Pele side dominated a sluggish looking Flamingo side to emerge 5-0 winners in the second game of the night.Despite playing in less than favourable conditions, the Pele players played attractive and attacking football. However, it was not all perfect, as they were guilty of poor finishing on several occasions, failing to convert fairly easy chances. Captain Stephon Hussain led by example as he netted a double, opening the scoring for

Santos’ Kacy John (Left) on the attack against Northern Rangers

Pele in the 27th minute and scoring his second in the 75th minute. Hussain was ably supported by Thairys Payne, who got his name on the score sheet in the 34th minute, while Dorwin George had the simplest of finishes in the 71st minute off of an exquisite cross. Mark Jahju also got in on the act in the 76th minute, to round off a well-deserved victory for his team. In the final game of the night, Northern Rangers recovered from a poor first half to come from behind and eventually beat Santos FC 3-1.In the first half of the game, Santos was the better of the two teams, and it was no surprise when Kacy John opened the scoring through a well taken goal that he fired past the motionless Rangers’ keeper with aplomb.Trailing 1-0 after the halftime break, the Rangers came out a different side, and played quality attacking football, scoring twice in 10 minutes, through Quincy Madramootoo in the 74th minute and Steven Sankar in the 85th minute. Pressure would get the best of a Santos defender, who scored an own goal in the dying minutes of the game, as Rangers won 3-1.Third round action will continue today with three matches scheduled for the GFC Ground beginning at 17:00hrs. At 17:00hrs, Riddim Squad FC clash with East Veldt FC; while, at 19:00 hrs, Western Tigers FC will face Camptown FC; and in the third match of the night, at 21:00 hrs, Police FC will do battle with home side GFC.