Toddler dies in ECD fire

…9 homeless

A Mon Repos, East Coast Demerara family was sent into a state of shock on Thursday afternoon when their child perished in a fire, which destroyed the entire house, leaving nine persons homeless.
Based on information received, the fire started about 02:00h at the Lot 83 Agriculture Road, Mon Repos premises.
Mahin Rampersaud, who was almost two years old, was sleeping in the upper flat of the two-storey house in the company of his four-year-old sister.
Neighbours were alerted by thick, dark smoke emanating from the house and

The remains of the home at Agriculture Road, Mon Repos, ECD

immediately raised an alarm.
However, by the time, public-spirited persons rushed to the scene to rescue the children, the little boy had already been consumed by the flames. They managed to save his sister, who escaped unhurt, along with family members who were in the lower flat.
When Guyana Times visited the scene, a crowd was gathered in disbelief in front of the building. Several fire-fighters were seen battling the blaze to salvage the

Dead: Mahin Rampersaud

five-bedroom house.
While the upper flat of the concrete and wood structure was completely destroyed, some sections of the lower flat and an adjoining shed were saved.
The mother of the now dead child, Mala Rampersaud was inconsolable as she explained that she received a call while at work and rushed home. By that time, the house had already been ravaged and adding to her distress, she was told that her son had burnt to death.
“I get the call and then I come home right away … we lost a lot,” the distraught woman stated.
Her friend, Indira Bissoondeo explained that she lived nearby and was awakened by loud noises. Upon glancing outside, she saw clouds of smoke billowing from the house.
“I tell my neighbour I hear something banging and then when I look, I start to I holler ‘fire’. I was confused and all of we run and come over. Next thing you know, when the family and a man who was on the street run upstairs to get the children, he get to save the girl, but he couldn’t get inside to save the baby ‘cause the fire was big,” said Bissoondeo.
The grandmother of the two children, Sabita Rampersaud cried as she relayed, “I

Neighbours stand in disbelief outside the raze home

was downstairs, and we didn’t hear anything.”
Persons at the scene explained that the Fire Service arrived promptly, but did not have sufficient water to douse the flames. As such, it took some time to source water from nearby trenches.
This publication understands that nine persons resided in the building and it was the first time such an incident occurred. The family estimates their losses to be in the millions and could not say what could have caused the fire.
Meanwhile, the Guyana Fire Service has launched an investigation into the incident. (Rupadai Seenaraine)