After 1 year on the run: Getaway driver in 2021 Kitty gold heist confesses to crime

…remanded pending sentencing

Dequan King, the getaway driver in last year’s Kitty, Georgetown gold heist, who was nabbed in Suriname last week, pleaded guilty to several armed robbery charges when he appeared at the Georgetown Magistrates’ Courts on Monday.

Dequan King pleaded guilty to several counts of robbery under arms when he appeared in the Georgetown Magistrates’ Courts on Monday

King, called “Titus”, or “Quanie”, of D Field Sophia, Greater Georgetown, was wanted in Guyana for a robbery committed on Wallison Enterprise, Gordon Street, Kitty, in August 2021. The Police had said that he was the driver of the getaway car used in the robbery.
Waterkant News in Suriname reported that King, who was also wanted for murder in French Guiana, was arrested on the evening of October 9 by the Regional Assistance Team in Paramaribo in collaboration with the National Security Directorate.
Before Principal Magistrate Sherdel Isaacs-Marcus, King pleaded guilty to robbing Wallison Enterprise of GY$38 million and GY$20 million worth of raw gold—property of Francis Santos Lumes, while armed with a gun and in the company of others.

Peon Lee also known as “Nino Brown”, Keyon King and Delroy “Bug” Jackson

He further admitted to three counts of robbery under arms committed on Francis Santos of gold jewellery and cash amounting to GY$224,000; Fernanda Carmichael of an iPhone valued at GY$350,000 and Williams Batista DaSilva of a phone valued at GY$160,000.
Unrepresented by legal counsel, King, in his address to the court, said that he was not involved in the robbery but only transported the robbers to the location in his taxi. He said he fled to Suriname after local Police issued a wanted bulletin for him. While in Suriname, he said that he was involved in a crime for which he did not disclose the nature and was arrested. After his arrest in Suriname, he was extradited to Guyana.
Sentencing for King, who was remanded to prison, was deferred until November 21.
On August 5, 2021, several armed men who pretended to be customers executed a daring daylight robbery on Wallison Enterprise at Lot 23 Gordon Street, Kitty, Georgetown. The men carted off GY$38 million in cash, 60 ounces of raw gold valued at $20 million, and two mobile phones.

Wanted: Jamal Hazel

After committing the robbery, the armed men bound and gagged the cashier and two other staff after which they locked them in a room.
Moments after escaping in a white motor car, the cashier managed to free herself and raised an alarm.
Investigations led to the arrest of Keyon King, 32, who was at the time a Sergeant in the Guyana Defence Force (GDF) along with 36-year-old Delroy “Bug” Jackson and Peon Lee also known as “Nino Brown”, both security officers attached to the business.
Keyon King and the others were subsequently charged with several counts of armed robbery. While Keyon King pleaded guilty and was sentenced to three years’ imprisonment, the others pleaded not guilty and were remanded to prison pending the outcome of their trial.
The Guyana Police Force had issued a wanted bulletin for the driver of the getaway car, and two other men who were caught on CCTV camera robbing the business.
The wanted bulletin was also issued for Antonio Maraj also called “Pluckin” or “Thuggy” of Leopold Street, Georgetown; Agricola, Greater Georgetown, and Buxton, East Coast Demerara (ECD).
Maraj was one of the persons caught on the CCTV recording during the commissioning of the robbery. Police are also on the hunt for ex-soldier Jamal Hazel, who was also caught on camera.
The 25-year-old is from Guyhoc Park, Georgetown.
Police had found the car belonging to Keyon King parked outside a house at Lot 435 Cummings Lodge, East Coast Demerara. Upon searching the premises, Police found and seized several household items. It was reported that neighbours told the Police that the man who lived there had left for the interior.
Following leads, the detectives turned up at the home of Keyon King at Vergenoegen, East Bank Essequibo (EBE), where a search was conducted in the house but nothing substantial was found. Nevertheless, during a search in the yard, the detectives noticed a disturbed piece of land and decided to dig.
It was then a bucket was found buried, which, when checked, contained GY$15 million in GY$5000 notes and an additional GY$3 million in GY$1000 notes. The bucket was reportedly wrapped in two black garbage bags while the money was neatly packed in transparent bags.
As such, Keyon King and his wife were arrested. During interrogation, he told investigators that he was part of the initial plan to rob the gold establishment but he was not one of the persons who committed the act. The ex-GDF Sergeant also related that his wife was not aware of the robbery and as such, requested for her to be released.