Taxi driver slapped with murder charge

A taxi driver was on Monday remanded to prison after being arraigned with the murder of Simone Hackett,

Ranachal Singh
Ranachal Singh

whose body was found in a trench at Cummings Lodge, Greater Georgetown, with several stab wounds.
Ranachal Singh, 31, of Lot 7 Good Faith, Mahaicony, was not required to plead to the charge which stated that between April 16 and 19, at Cummings Lodge, he murdered Hackett. The taxi driver’s vehicle was allegedly used to transport Hackett’s ex-boyfriend to and from the scene of the murder.
Singh appeared before Magistrate Zamina Ally at the Sparendaam Magistrate’s Court, and the matter was adjourned to May 18.
Clevon Hamilton was also arraigned for the heinous crime at the Sparendaam Magistrate’s Court last Friday. According to reports, Hamilton contacted the now dead woman and instructed her to collect a package for their son from a friend at the University of Guyana (UG) Access Road. The woman went to the location only to see Hamilton instead of the friend.
The prosecution told the Court that the suspect admitted to the crime during interrogation.
It was reported that the mother of one left home on Saturday evening about 20:30h to uplift the package, but never returned home. Her body was discovered in a trench among the vegetation by two schoolboys on their way to school.
Hours after the discovery, the Police arrested Hamilton in Mahdia, Region Eight (Potaro-Siparuni).
He told investigators that he travelled to Georgetown on Saturday, and stayed at a city hotel. On the night the woman went missing, he contacted Singh who collected him from the hotel and dropped him off at the bus shed where he met the woman. At the time, he was carrying a haversack in which the murder weapon was concealed.
Hamilton admitted that during an argument, he choked the woman after which he pulled out the knife and inflicted the fatal injuries. He then tossed the body into the trench, got rid of the murder weapon, boarded Singh’s taxi and travelled back to Mahdia.
The car that was used to transport the murder suspect to Mahdia was found abandoned in a bushy area in the mining district. During an inspection of the car, blood stains were found on the seats.
It is believed that after stabbing the woman, Hamilton boarded that vehicle with blood on his clothing.