Teen charged for Homestretch Avenue fatal accident

Nineteen-year-old Rayon Alves, of East La Penitence, Georgetown, was on Wednesday arraigned for the death of Dakera Gittens and Tonika Halley, who died in the wee hours of Sunday in an accident along Homestretch Avenue, Georgetown.

Charged: Rayon Alves

Alves, of Lot 1 East La Penitence, appeared before Senior Magistrate Leron Daly at the Georgetown Magistrates’ Courts where he pleaded not guilty to two counts of causing death by dangerous driving.
The charges state that on February 14, 2021, he dangerously drove a motor car, PVV 1289, thereby causing the deaths of Halley and Gittens. He was granted $300,000 bail on each count. He returns to court on March 15, 2021.
The teenager was represented by Attorney-at-Law Dexter Todd, who told the court that his client did everything possible to assist his friends after the vehicle crashed.
However, the Police Prosecutor refuted the claims, stating that Alves fled the scene and was later found at his residence.

Dead: Tonika Halley

Alves was instructed by Magistrate Daly to report to the East La Penitence Police Station on Mondays until the hearing and determination of his trial.
It was reported that following the accident, Gittens, 20, a labourer, of Lot 2104 Nutmeg Street, Festival City, Georgetown died on the spot.
Halley, 18, a mother of one, of Phase 2 East La Penitence, reportedly died while receiving attention at the Georgetown Public Hospital.
Delvern Luthers, of Wortmanville, Georgetown; Joel Rose of D’Urban Street, Georgetown, and Troy Glen of Laing Avenue, Georgetown were injured in the deadly accident.
It was further reported that the five young people had just left a barbecue in South Ruimveldt, Georgetown, and were heading to a sporting spot at Garnett Street, Kitty, Georgetown when the driver allegedly lost control of the motor car and slammed into a utility pole.

Dead: Dakera Gittens

The car, the Police stated, flipped several times and ended up in a nearby trench. A breathalyser test was conducted on the driver, but there was no trace of alcohol in his system.